What do you believe?

What do you believe?
What do you believe?

What do you believe?

I pride myself on being a self-aware person. For example, I know the last thing some, perhaps even most, of you are interested in reading is another article full of my opinions — even though that’s what an op-ed column is supposed to be.

So instead of orotund pronouncements that might challenge your belief system, perhaps you won’t mind if I simply ask some (hopefully) thought-provoking questions.

Do you believe that an educated middle class is the lifeblood of a democracy? Do you believe that our government has an obligation to increase access to higher education, or do you believe that President Bush should have signed — as he did — a budget bill that cuts student loan programs?

Do you believe that the government should provide funding for stem cell research? Should it make available existing stem cell lines to researchers, or do you believe those lines should be discarded?

Do you believe that women should have access to contraception, including the so-called morning-after pill? Do you believe that women, including teens, should have access to a new test that detects cervical cancer while it is still treatable, or do you believe claims that providing access to such an exam will lead to promiscuity?

Do you believe that abortion, including exceptions for the health or life of the mother and instances of rape and incest, should be illegal? Do you believe that states should be allowed to limit things like contraception, abortion, or private consensual sexual behavior? Do you believe condoms should be used in the global fight against Aids, or do you believe the government should deny Aids funding to African countries that promote the use of condoms?

Do you believe that either the federal government or individual states should be allowed to restrict or prohibit adoption by gays and lesbians? Do you believe that an employer should be able to fire someone on the basis of his or her sexual orientation? If so, should he be allowed to fire someone on the basis of his religion? Do you believe that someone should be allowed to deny housing or public accommodation to gays and lesbians?

Do you believe that gays and lesbians should be able to marry? If not, do you believe that they should be granted some rights or some legal status, such as civil unions or domestic partnerships? Do you believe that the government has a responsibility to guarantee the safety, and to protect the civil rights, of all its citizens?

Do you believe that the president should consult with religious leaders on nominations to the Supreme Court? Do you believe that a president should speak publicly about his personal faith in a pluralistic society? Do you believe that the government should use fear as a means of governing and/or manipulating public sentiment?

Do you believe that the government should sell public lands, i.e. national parks and/or forests, to corporations that will in turn profit from use of the land? Do you believe that White House lawyers, with ties to the petroleum industry, should edit scientific reports prepared by the government’s own scientists? Do you believe that energy-industry CEO’s should be allowed to help shape the country’s energy policy? Do you believe that the government should provide incentives and tax cuts to oil companies for research and development, even though those companies continue to post record profits?

Do you believe that pharmaceutical companies should be permitted to write legislation to overhaul the Medicare drug plan? Do you believe that Americans should be able to buy drugs manufactured by American companies in Canada if those drugs are more expensive in the United States? Do you believe every American should have access to health care?

Do you think believe that the President is above the law, or do you believe that if the President does it, it’s not illegal? Do you believe that the Executive branch is co-equal to the Legislative and Judicial branches, and that Congress should provide oversight to the President, even when they are from the same Party?

Do you believe that one Party should have a permanent majority in Congress? Do you believe in a system of checks and balances? Do you believe that the Constitution provides the President with unchecked powers during war? Do you believe that the Attorney General should be the country’s lawyer or the President’s lawyer?

Do you believe in the right to privacy? Do you believe that the government should be able to spy on its citizens? Do you believe that all persons have the right to due process? Do you believe that a democracy founded on civil liberties can survive if those liberties are eroded?

Do you believe that the Constitution is a living document, that it must be interpreted to address situations that were unforeseen by its drafters, or do you believe that the Constitution is static? Do you believe that courts should intervene to protect the civil rights of minorities? Do you believe that laws should be shaped by religion? If so, what religion?

Do you believe that the U.S. should engage in regime change? Do you believe that the U.S. should wage war as a means to bring peace? Do you believe that the U.S. should use war as a means of spreading democracy? Do you believe that American democracy is an achievable goal in countries that otherwise have no history of democratic institutions? Do you believe that the world is safer today than it was before we invaded Iraq?

Do you believe that freedom of religion necessarily includes freedom from religious intolerance? Do you believe that free speech necessarily includes the right to be offended?

Do you believe that the obligation of a University is to challenge your beliefs and to expand your understanding of the world, or do you believe that its function is to merely reinforce predetermined notions and viewpoints, no matter how narrow or parochial?

George Henson is a Spanish lecturer. He can be reached at [email protected].