Envoy draws eclectic crowd to Gypsy Tea Room

Seven-song set finishes strong after rough start

Getting pelted by little colorful bits of aluminum was the lastthing I expected as I walked into the Gypsy Tea Room a fewSaturdays ago. I shook the glitter out of my hair, and lookedaround to find out where the kind gift had come from, only two findtwo teenage girls dressed in wispy white dresses smiling at me. Inodded at them, still confused, and walked further into thevenue.

It only took a few steps for me to notice that the Gypsy TeaRoom looked a little different than usual that night. Two largescreens were set up; one in front of the bar and one behind thestage, both of which were displaying A Midsummer Night’sDream, the 1999 version on one and the 1935 version on theother. The theme of the night finally came together, the girls inwhite, the movies, this evening indeed held the pleasing quality ofA Midsummer Night’s Dream.

I didn’t have much time to ponder the theme of the soireemuch longer. Right as I reached the stage, Envoy, the band I hadcome to see, took the stage. As the first notes rang out I lookedaround to assess the crowd from my spot at the front of the stage.The crowd seemed younger than the usual Dallas concert-going packand no one over the age of 25 seemed to be present, except for theeager mother videotaping the band from behind me.

The first song, “Have No Doubt” started off slow andthe lead singer, Brandon Chynoweth seemed to teeter awkwardly for afew moments, grasping clumsily for the microphone as he becameacclimated to the stage. Envoy quickly proved that there was a bitmore than melodious arrangements and soft singing in store and theenergy soon picked up as all band members joined in for a livelykick off to their performance. The lead and backup singers createdperfect harmonies, something that lasted throughout each song aseveryone but the drummer joined in for a couple notes of supporthere and there. Such a feat is unfortunately rare for Dallas bands.I have admittedly found myself cringing as backup singers sangcompletely flat on more than one occasion. But not here, Envoyseemed to have incredible mastery and control of its instruments asthey transitioned seamlessly into the next song,”Weightless,” the first track on the band’s mostrecent album, The White Room E.P. I turned to the crowd onceagain to observe their reactions and was surprised to see severalkids singing along in the first front rows.

The fifth song, “Don’t let it end,” was mellowand dreamy and the most stirring of the seven-song set. As I lookedback at my notes from that night, I saw the words “THOMYORKE!!!” underlined three times and believe me, comparisonsto Radiohead’s lead singer are rare and hard to attain.Brandon Chynoweth’s vocal control and striking quality inthis song was amazing, and I was further astounded as bass playerJaron Pitts switched his instrument for a cello, which he playedflawlessly.

Was it possible that the Envoy phenomenon had taken off withoutshowing up on my radar? As I watched fans in the crowd takingpictures and cheering energetically I realized that maybe this wasbigger than I had thought. And with reason, the songs were all themore impressive than the rest and the singer gained the confidencehe lacked during the first few minutes of the show the second hepicked up his guitar. In addition, SMU’s own Calvin Chynowethand Beau Bedford played their guitars like weathered veterans.

Envoy’s pleasant sound evoked memories of Coldplay,Travis, even Jeff Buckley. Envoy is the kind of band you want tolisten to when you’re driving, studying, hanging out andwell, anytime..

For more information go to www.envofficial.com.