Local pet adoption charity events inspire students

In North America alone 8 million pets end up in shelters.

On a yearly basis 4 million of those pets end up euthanized because they don’t have a home.

PetSmart Charities is taking a stand on pet homelessness.

This past weekend the organization hosted their first-of-the-year National Adoption Weekend at 1,269 PetSmart locations across the country.

In the month of ‘love’, more than 2,000 “match-makers,” or animal-welfare organizations, came out to support the cause and help thousands of pets find a home.

Further sharing the ‘love,’ PetSmart Charities will give all participating animal-welfare organizations $35 in adoption-reward grants for every pet adopted during this event.

National Adoption Weekend events are sponsored by PetSmart, Purina ProPlan and Tidy Cats.

“PetSmart Charities is changing lives with innovative programs and events that address the pet overpopulation problem at the community level,” Stephanie Butler said.

Butler is the senior director of programs, grants and research at PetSmart Charities, said.

“When you adopt, you save a pet’s life and enrich your own.”

There are plenty of ways for college students to get involved.

Local animal shelters can always use volunteer help to give pets some much needed exercise or to help clean and organize the shelter space.

This past fall, fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha hosted “Pikes for Puppies.”

This was an event on campus that spread animal overpopulation awareness in conjunction with the White Rock Dog and two other shelters.

SMU students Hannah Moss and Lexi Leinenkugel are advocates of animal adoption and encourage getting involved in volunteering at a shelter.

“Animal adoption is life changing and good for the soul,” Moss said.

“It makes you accountable for someone else besides yourself. I felt like a mommy and had so much love for The General [her cat].”

Leinenkugel also sees the joys of volunteering with animals.

“Since many of these animals have had unfortunate lives, it’s so wonderful to give them love and attention,” Leinenkugel said.

“Volunteering at an animal shelter is a happy experience for the animals and those who volunteer-who wouldn’t want to play with animals.”

The next PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend is May 3-5, 2013.

The event will be held at PetSmart stores nationwide and in Canada.

Local PetSmart stores are located at 5500 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 75206 and 12100 Inwood Rd, Dallas, TX, 75244.