Day of Silence raises awareness of LGBT harassment

Courtesy of SMU Women’s Center
Angela Uno and Shelbi Smith wore “NO H8” on their cheeks to protest the ‘culture of hate’ against members of the LGBT community.

Angela Uno and Shelbi Smith wore “NO H8” on their cheeks to protest the ‘culture of hate’ against members of the LGBT community. (Courtesy of SMU Women’s Center)

SMU students joined their peers across the nation yesterday in the Day of Silence.

The Day of Silence is a student-led event that brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools.

Participants’ deliberate silence was meant to echo the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people.

“It’s a form [of] activism that’s more subtle and emphasizes the sacrifice of ‘your voice’ out of respect for those who have been silenced for so long,” said Brent Paxton, the administrative coordinator for SMU’s Women’s Center for Gender and Pride Initiatives.

“It draws attention to bullying in a way that leaves some puzzled as it’s the opposite of screaming on the roof tops about the issues.”

Participants broke their silence at 5:30 p.m. yesterday in Hughes-Trigg at “Breaking the Silence,” an event that allowed the students to come together as a group at the end of the day.

“I’m very proud of the SMU students who are participating,” Paxton said. “It’s a way for them to show their solidarity on an issue that’s been plaguing schools, and workplaces for that matter around the world.”

More information can be found at http://www.dayofsilence.org.