Meridian Room serves students a sophisticated bar atmosphere

Setting out to review the food Dallas bars serve might have beenthe most exciting assignment I’ve ever received. I soon foundthat trying to concentrate on food in loud, dim-lit, smoky placessometimes isn’t the easiest task.

The menu has only a few of the usual bar food suspects: chipsand salsa, a burger, a salad, some fries…but that’swhere the similarities end. The burger was smothered in bluecheese, the salad topped with seared yellow fin tuna, the fries notmade of potatoes but of strips of portabella mushrooms — eventhe grilled cheese sandwich is fancy!

The service at the Meridian Room was understandably shoddy, twofrantic servers ran between tables (the place was filled tocapacity) rushing cocktails and food to eager costumers. Because ofthe crowd, the noise level was almost uncomfortable, but the foodmade up for it.

The turkey brie sandwich ($6.00) with layered green appleslices, smoked turkey and brie on toasted sourdough, got two thumbsup. The Guinness steak sandwich ($7.50) looked less than appetizingat first, with melted cheese and thin slices of beef oozing out ofthe sides of the bread, but one bite into the warm gooeycombination proved that appearance isn’t everything. It wasserved with Guinness sauce and horseradish mayonnaise, bothwonderful additions to the already flavorful sandwich. The Frenchfries that accompanied it were thin and crispy (customers have theoption of ordering pasta, salad or fries as a side to allsandwiches).

The blue cheese burger ($6.50) was juicy and hearty, the bread— a honey heat bun — a perfect compliment to thesaltiness of the meat and cheese.

The three cheese sandwich ($6.00), filled with melted smokedgouda, cheddar and jack was crunchy and filling. The smokiness ofthe cheese paired with the avocado and tomato (added for $1.50)created a pleasant mixture.

The most expensive item on the menu, the seared tuna steak($11.00), was amazing. The fish was cooked perfectly and its lightseasoning did not deter from the flavor of the tuna. The sides,however, were disappointing. The fresh green beans were crunchy— a little too crunchy — and almost devoid of taste.The rosemary potatoes, usually a favorite, were obviouslymicrowaved, their outside layer almost impenetrable (a few jumpedfrom my plate as I tried to slice through them with the side of myfork).

The Meridian Room is a perfect place to enjoy good food and gooddrinks without spending too much. For a limited time this summer,the Meridian Room is offering all their menu items for half-off onWednesdays. But come early, you might have to wait for a table onsuch nights!