Women’s golf secures second place finish

The Lady Mustang golf team secured a second-place finish at the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic last weekend in Norman, Okla.

The Mustangs shot a round of 296 in the last 18 holes of the Classic and completed the tournament with a three-round total of 892.

Junior Laura Cross finished third individually, posting the low individual round of the day on Monday with a 71. Sophomore Lacey Jones tied for sixth place, and Kate Ackerson tied for 17th place.

The Mustangs played against the powerful Oklahoma winds to push through to the end of the tournament.

“We played 36 holes on Monday,” Cross said. “As the day progressed, the winds got stronger. It was definitely a day that called for punch shots and a good short game.”

Despite the conditions, Cross feels proud of the team score.

“The conditions on the course were difficult, so our score was well considering the conditions,” she said. “Monday the wind was the strongest, and the course played very hard. Judging distances and firing at the pin was not as easy as Sunday.”

This is the second consecutive second place finish for the Mustangs; they placed second in the Northwestern Invitational at the beginning of April.

“Lately, we’ve been coming together as a team and playing very well,” Cross said. “We all get along so well and motivate each other.”

For now, the team is preparing for the C-USA Championships this weekend in Greenville, North Carolina.

“Playing good in the last two tournaments has gotten our confidence up for Conference next week,” Cross said.

Cross has high hopes for the upcoming tournament.

“I think if we play like we know we can and come together as a team, we can win conference,” she said.