Swim team makes waves in NCAA competition

Photo Courtesy of The University of Houston’s Athletics Communication.

(Photo Courtesy of The University of Houston’s Athletics Communication.)

While many Mustangs spent spring break 2012 making waves in the ocean, the SMU women’s swim team spent the break making waves in the pool.

On March 17, the Mustangs placed 16th at the Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships in Auburn, Ala. With a total of 67 points, SMU was able to grab the 16th place standing swimming past Georgia and Southern California.

Isabella Arcila showed why she says she feels most natural in the water as she, Genny Konicke, Monika Babok and Nina Rangelova raced past competitors to finish the 400-yard relay in 3:15.96 to earn 11th place.

Senior Therese Svendsen ended a successful season and career with an 11th place standing in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:54.11 and another All-America title to add to her honors.

This season alone, Svendsen earned a total of four All-America titles.

This years placement in the 200-yard backstroke is eight places above Svendsen’s performance at the NCAA competition in 2011.

During her time with SMU, the team captain has been named Conference USA Swimmer of the Year (2010-11) and Conference USA Freshman of the Year (2008-09).

Wrapping up the competition, the Mustangs combined eight individuals to bring 19 All-America honors.

Earning honors along with Arcila, Konicke, Babok, Rangelova and Svendsen were Erica Donadon (400-yard medley relay), Rachel Nicol (200-yard medley relay) and Denisa Smolenova (200-yard medley relay).

Arcila finished 35th in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:57.04 while Smolenova just barely missed the finals with a 19th place finish at 1:56.89.

Nicol came close to adding a second All-America honor in the 200-yard breaststroke after finishing the race with 20th place with a time of 2:11.07.

Closing out the season, the SMU women’s swimming and dive team will compete in the USA Grand Prix in Indianapolis on March 29.