Padron to leave SMU

QB follows Bo Levi Mitchell to Eastern Washington
Former+SMU+quarterback+Kyle+Padron%2C+now+transferring+to+Eastern+Washington%2C+carries+the+ball+during+a+play+against+TCU+Sept.+24%2C+2010+in+Ford+Stadium.+
Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
Former SMU quarterback Kyle Padron, now transferring to Eastern Washington, carries the ball during a play against TCU Sept. 24, 2010 in Ford Stadium.

Former SMU quarterback Kyle Padron, now transferring to Eastern Washington, carries the ball during a play against TCU Sept. 24, 2010 in Ford Stadium. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

After leading the Mustangs to the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl and the Armed Forces Bowl his freshman and sophomore years, Kyle Padron will be transferring to Eastern Washington.

Padron lost his starting job to J.J. McDermott in the opening game against Texas A&M his junior and final year as a Mustang.

With two early interceptions in College Station, Padron was benched for the remainder of the game and the season as the team responded with McDermott as the starter.

McDermott’s reign began when SMU went on a five game winning streak after the A&M loss, including the TCU overtime thriller, before tailing off and losing four of their last seven.

Padron decided to transfer a few weeks after the season because he wanted a change of scenery and has decided on Eastern Washington, the same school that former SMU quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell transferred to and won the 2010 national championship.

“It’s going to be different. It’s a quiet town. It’s strictly football and school,” Padron said about his new school where he will enroll in the fall.

“I’m a Dallas kid so it will be nice to get out of my comfort zone,” Padron said of his new opportunity.

He’s excited about learning from two coaches that have great track records with quarterbacks: Head Coach Beau Baldwin, who coached Jon Kitna and then coached Eastern Washington’s quarterback coach Zak Hill at Central Washington.

“Their system has more control at the line. Identifying the Mike linebacker, adjusting protections and changing the play at the line are some of the new responsibilities I’ll have,” Padron said of his new offense.

Padron is focused on being a better overall quarterback and hopes to take what he has learned from the run and shoot to help coordinate with the EWU offense and coaching staff. His ultimate goal is to get a chance in the NFL before concluding his foot career in Washington.

During his time on the Hilltop, Padron has amassed more than 5,900 passing yards and 41 touchdowns putting him as the fourth all-time for passing yardage by an SMU quarterback.

His mark on the SMU program cannot be ignored as one of the most important reasons for SMU’s reemergence as a football team.

The run and shoot offense of Head Coach June Jones helped Padron do this and he enjoyed the options the offense gave him.

“There are so many options on any given play that you can score on. It’s easier on the quarterback once you get an understanding of it,” Padron said.

His fondest memories as a Mustang include the Hawaii bowl where he was named MVP as well as the many practices he had with his teammates and friends.

While the MVP award was a career highlight, Padron’s favorite memory as a Mustang was when students rushed the field after beating UTEP his freshman year to become bowl eligible.

“The Hawaii Bowl game was blown out of proportion. A lot of my yards were from Al or Emmanuel running after the catch and me just throwing it up for them,” Padron said. “Winning that game for Coach Ganz and Coach Jones was the best part.

“It’s cool to have the record and the accolades, but it is a team game and the most important thing is getting the win.”

His play and quiet leadership on and off the field cement Padron’s place in SMU football history forever.

He was one of the leaders on the team and continued to be humble even after he lost his starting role. Quarterback’s coach Dan Morrison remembered one story of just how humble Padron is.

“He didn’t tell anyone about him being named ‘One of the Players to Watch’ in 2010 by the Columbus Touchdown Club after the Hawaii Bowl win. We found out shortly before the awards banquet because he did not tell anyone in the football offices about it,” Morrison said.

Padron’s quiet demeanor will serve him well as he moves on to Eastern Washington and his new home.

His leadership skills and his endless preparation for games will be one of the reasons why his transition to a new offense and school will go relatively smooth for him.

Padron leaves the Hilltop as one of the leaders and key reasons why SMU football is where it is today.