Navy washes over Mustangs in overtime

Mustang defense hangs with Navy rush, but loses in second overtime loss of season
Zach Line (48) fights through Navy defenders Tyler Simmons (54) and Matt Nechak (59) Saturday evening at Ford Stadium. Line scored two touchdowns in the first half in the Mustangs loss to the Midshipmen. CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus
Zach Line (48) fights through Navy defenders Tyler Simmons (54) and Matt Nechak (59) Saturday evening at Ford Stadium. Line scored two touchdowns in the first half in the Mustangs’ loss to the Midshipmen. CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus

The Mustangs’ 38-35 overtime loss to the United States Naval Academy seemed eerily familiar, as SMU surrendered a 21-7 advantage at halftime, leading to the team’s sixth consecutive overtime loss, and second of the season.

Saturday’s loss puts SMU at 3-3 overall and 2-0 in Conference USA, while Navy improves to 5-2. SMU is now 1-10 overall in overtime performances, most recently losing in overtime to Washington State, 30-27, on Sept. 19.

Navy won with a 24-yard field goal by Joe Buckley, despite the Mustangs getting the ball first in overtime. SMU’s Matt Szymanski missed a 43-yard field goal attempt wide right, paving the way for a Midshipmen win.

The Mustangs rushed for a loss of one on the first play in overtime, as Shawnbrey McNeal was stuffed by Navy’s Ross Pospisil on first and 10. Two incomplete passes later, Navy called a timeout to freeze Szymanski before his kick.

The Midshipmen were quick to score in the first quarter with a 31-yard run by sophomore running back Marcus Curry, but the Mustangs quickly answered back with a 3-yard rush by freshman running back Zach Line to even the score at 7-7.

SMU’s defense held the No. 3 rushing team in the country to 84 yards in the first, tallying 105 rush yards of their own. All five of Navy’s touchdowns came from the team’s running game.

Line struck again, running a six-yard touchdown to put SMU up 14-7. A fumble recovery on the 1-yard line by junior defensive back Sterling Moore put the Mustangs up 21-7 to close out the half.

The Mustangs started to slide in the second half, giving up back-to-back Navy touchdowns before sophomore wide receiver Terrance Wilkerson caught a six-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell in the back of the end zone to put SMU back on top, 28-21.

Between injuries to center Mitch Enright and junior linebacker Pete Fleps, SMU gave up two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, one to tie the score and the second to put Navy in the lead.

“I think Pete getting out of there hurt us,” Jones said. “The kids played hard, everybody battled. We lost a home game, now we have to steal one on the road somewhere.”

Jones said both were “iffy” following Saturday’s loss; Fleps, according to Jones had a slight concussion and Enright was believed to have twisted his left leg.

Throwing for just 200 yards, Mitchell struggled in his accuracy, throwing 19-41 for two touchdowns.

Despite the loss, Mitchell and company completed a turnover-free game, throwing no interceptions or giving up any fumbles, but forcing two fumbles against the Midshipmen, returning one for a touchdown.

“I was really proud of how [Mitchell] battled in the forth quarter,” Jones said. “He made some good throws in tough situations. I had not seen him in that situation competing at the end of the game to tie it. I thought he did good.”

Mitchell completed passes to six receivers, including six passes to senior wide receiver, Emmanuel Sanders.

Sanders, with 240 career receptions, holds the SMU record for most career receptions, passing Jason Wolf with 235.

“He’s been a great player long before I got here,” Jones said. “He’s just getting better and better. He’s learning how to really compete and work and be a leader. He’s got a bright future.”

Junior wide receiver Aldrick Robinson scored the tying touchdown in the final two minutes of regulation, connecting with Mitchell for a 10-yard pass. Robinson finished the night with only 62 yards.

“[Wilkerson] made some nice catches in the end zone,” Jones said. “We just aren’t hitting on cylinders in our passing game, and we need to do that if we want to make our goal of getting to that bowl.”

In wake of their second consecutive win over SMU, Navy (5-2) was awarded the Gansz Trophy, in memory of coaching legend, Frank Gansz.

“I wish we could have won it,” head coach June Jones said. “We had a pretty emotional week at practice. You’d like to win the game, but hey, that’s life. You move on.”

The Mustangs will travel to Houston this weekend to take on the No. 17 Houston Cougars (5-1, 1-1) on Oct. 24 at 6:30 p.m.