One more dining option on campus

Students grab a bite to eat during school yesterday at Einstein Bros. Bagels located in the basement of the Fincher Building in the Cox School of Business.
Lindsey Perkins

Students grab a bite to eat during school yesterday at Einstein Bros. Bagels located in the basement of the Fincher Building in the Cox School of Business. (Lindsey Perkins)

SMU dining services has added another restaurant to its selection on campus. Open now, students can partake in the breakfast and lunch selections of Einstein Bros. Bagels in the basement of the Fincher building.

In addition to the selections of Subway, Pizza Hut and Chick-fil-A in Hughes-Trigg and the Starbucks cart in Meadows, SMU now offers business students desiring a quick meal after class work. The new bagel shop replaces the Snack Exchange that used to be in the Fincher building.

Kyle Wilson, dining services member and location manager of the Einstein Bros. Bagel shop, said that after conducting a campus survey, this was the most desired change on campus.

“SMU dining services conducts a market match survey every four to five years to see what areas students and faculty feel are lacking,” Wilson said. “This was one of the areas, as students desired a real meal versus the basics supplied by the Snack Exchange.”

Wilson feels that the bagel shop will be very accommodating for both the undergraduate and graduate students that come through the Fincher building.

“Our hours are posted as 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., but we are going to try and extend a little on both sides to meet the students needs,” Wilson said. With more mandated 8 a.m. classes now, and graduate classes letting out at 8 p.m., we are going to try and give some extra time to help out the students.”

Abbey Barnett, an MBA student, likes the bagel shop option better than the snack exchange as a real meal option.

“It is very convenient coming straight from work and having to go to class.” Barnett said. “It is nice to be able to get a real hot meal that is a healthier option to the snacks at the Snack Exchange.”

Wilson said that for a bagel shop, Einstein Bros. is a surprisingly healthy, fresh option. He said that the coffee is thrown out every hour to maintain quality. Preservative free bagels are used, baked and thrown out every four hours to maintain the freshest bagels possible as well. In addition, veggie wraps are on the menu with options of wheat tortillas and fresh produce everyday.

Wilson said that the reputation of Einstein Bagels will be consistent with what students here at SMU expect.

“I think this will fit in nicely with SMU as Einstein Bros. demand the highest quality and best customer service available,” Wilson said. “That is why we have chefs prepping all day long to maintain the best possible quality of all of our products.”

The bagel shop will be offering its full menu of breakfast and lunch selections all day long. For students this will help to accommodate unusual hours due to classes, as well as provide real meal options.

“This is great for students with busy schedules,” Michael Fant, MBA student said. “It is good food also. I would rather eat a real sandwich rather than a Lunchable any day.”

The bagel shop will also be available to cater events through SMU Catering, and will be providing all bagel services on campus.