Controversy still lingers in China

“Real” sports sidelined in Beijing games

When it comes to patriotism, there’s nothing quite like the Olympics. What better way to prove how great a country is than by judging physical prowess in the realm of sports? The Olympics are the ultimate level of competition when it comes to athletes proving their worth, and are taken extremely serious by viewers from around the world. Unfortunately, it appeared as if Americans just didn’t care as much anymore. That is, until this past summer.

The Beijing Summer Olympics marked revitalization for the contest, most notably among American viewers. Ratings for the summer games hit highs not seen in the past two incarnations of the Olympics. Not since gymnast Keri Strug clinched the gold medal for the United States in ’96 had there been so much buzz surrounding the games.

This time around it was Michael Phelps, a swimmer from Maryland who broke an all-time record by winning eight gold medals during the course of the summer games. Phelps’ pursuit of the record kept eyes glued to televisions not only in America, but across the globe. Phelps didn’t have to injure his ankle on the vault or be carried off the field by his coach, either.

However, the buzz surrounding the games was not entirely positive.

For months prior to the opening ceremony, riots and protests centered on the Beijing games dominated national news coverage. Every night there was a new story about a group of protesters blocking the torch route, or athletes refusing to practice in China. Many were in favor of boycotting the games altogether.

Everyone was aware of the potential disaster that would be known as Beijing 2008. However, it didn’t quite turn out that way. All that negative press pretty much went away after the torch was lit. People just wanted to see their athletes win some medals for their country. Americans weren’t disappointed as the United States won the most silver and bronze medals, as well as the overall medal count with 110.

But as much as we love watching the plethora of sporting events, there are some things we’d like to see change.

More coverage should be given to actual “sports.” Basketball, volleyball, baseball and soccer should be brought to the forefront of television coverage. After all, these events are the real meat of the games, especially to the majority of American audiences. Anyone can perform “semi-decent” flip on a spring-loaded trampoline and land somewhat gracefully on their feet, so why does trampoline get to be considered an Olympic sport when baseball and softball are being thrown out of the event lineup? If the activity requires a judge and suffers from a lack of defense, then it shouldn’t be a sport.

As a way to increase ratings and hook more viewers (especially in the United States), only the events that truly matter – gold medal events as opposed to qualifiers – should be given coverage. Also, why can’t American football be added to the list of events? An unfair advantage isn’t an excuse either. Our men’s soccer team doesn’t even make it out of the group stage.

It’s a safe assumption that Olympic ratings would skyrocket if football was announced as the new Olympic sport, and while the International Olympic Committee is at it, why not bring back America’s national pastime and softball.