Men’s golf wins Conference title

A 12-under par Wednesday was enough to catapult the men’s golf team from four shots back to its third straight conference championship. UCF finished six strokes back in second.

This is the first time SMU has won back-to-back-to back conference championships in golf. SMU has twice won consecutive championships.

The Mustangs’ C-USA championship is good for an automatic bid to the NCAA regional tournament May 18-20 in Ohio.

Senior Will Dodson won his second straight conference title by shooting 13-under for the tournament, and his final round 65 was the lowest round shot by any player at the tournament.

Dodson is the first Mustang player to win back-to-back championships since O’Hara Watts won two Southwest Conference titles in 1931 and 1932.

Dodson was not the only player to receive accolades at the tournament. Junior Colt Knost finished fourth at six under par and earned a spot on the first team all-C-USA. He led all golfers with 15 birdies in the tournament.

Junior Brandon DeStefano finished ninth at one over par. He made the conference second team.

Wes Homan and Scott Sikes tied for No. 30, placing all five SMU men in the top 30.

In 2005 SMU advanced to the NCAA tournament after winning the Western Athletic Conference championship and placing No. 8 in its regional competition. They placed No. 22 at the NCAA tournament.