Jason Mraz to play at first annual CODERED show

Jason Mraz will be on campus tonight performing a special acoustic show that will kick off the new CODERED 2006 concert series sponsored by the Program Council Hilltop Concerts Committee.

The CODERED event is new to campus and hopes to be free of charge in the future. Past concerts sponsored by Program Council have featured headliners such as Juvinile, Cross Canadian Ragweed and 112.

The committee chose Mraz for the unique musical style he offers. “Every year we try to feature a different genre of music to represent the diverse music interest of SMU students. Last year the concert featured a hip-hop artist, so this year we wanted to change it up and get more of an alternative rock artist,” said Vice President of Social Programming Jessica Jones.

Mraz released his debut album “Waiting For My Rocket To Come” featuring hit singles “Remedy (I Won’t Worry)” and “You and I Both” in 2002. His talent was quickly recognized as fans across the nation formed a loyal following.

Much of Mraz’s appeal comes from his electric live performances. The live album “Tonight, Not Again,” recorded at Eagles Ballroom and released in 2004, does an amazing job of capturing the stage presence that never fails to captivate Mraz’s audience.

Jason Mraz’s most recent album “MR. A-Z” was released in July 2005 and follows the same formula of pairing innovative lyrics with solid guitar playing and musical accompaniment.

Mraz’s opening act will be Meadows junior John Holiday. He is the reigning Mustang Idol, which is a contest sponsored by Program Council. This concert will be his feature performance, according to Jones.

The Program Council committee hopes the student body enjoys and appreciates tonight’s concert. “Our goal was to celebrate the end of a successful year and also to bring the SMU community together,” explained Hilltop Concerts Chair Cyndee Rivera. “We hope that everyone will attend. They will not be disappointed.”

The doors of McFarlin Auditorium will open at 7 p.m., and the concert will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets can be bought at the door for $15.