Rooney prepares to rock Dallas at House of Blues

Rooney, a pop-rock band hailing from Los Angeles, Calif., will play the House of Blues Dallas on Thursday, July 3 as part of its headlining “The Calling the World” tour.

This is the band’s first major headlining tour since the release of its sophomore album, “Calling the World,” in July 2007. It took Rooney three tries and a couple of record label and management changes to perfect the sound for the band’s second release, but they did it. Now the band is bringing its head-bopper melodies and hypnotic yet enticing lyrics cross-country.

Rooney fills a void in the pop scene. The band is known for channeling influences of legendary pop bands like The Beach Boys and The Beatles. Anytime a band is likened to legends like The Beatles, expectations are high, but Rooney manages to hold its own.

The band’s sound is heavily recognizable when compared to the popular sounds of earlier decades, but the music stands out amidst the mainstream sound of today. Lead singer Robert Schwartzman wrote all of the songs on the album after searching for a sound that would at once rock and “also make people dance.”

The album’s first single is “When Did Your Heart Go Missing?” Its sound is quintessential Rooney – fun and catchy, the kind of song you can’t help but dance to. Other songs on the album to listen for include “I Should Have Been After You,” “Believe in Me” and “What For.”

Favorites from the debut album include “Sorry, Sorry” and “I’m a Terrible Person,” both appearing on “The O.C.” soundtrack, while “I’m Shakin'” was well-received by radio.

The band released its self-titled debut album in 2002 but it picked up momentum through 2004. “Rooney” sold 400,000 albums and toured extensively across the United States and Europe.

The supporting bands for Thursday’s show include Locksley, a pop-rock band out of Brooklyn, and acoustic-style southern band The Bridges. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the all-ages show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $13.50 for general admission standing room and go up to $35 for balcony seats.