Student tour works to improve campus lighting

Katie Ruppe admits it still scares her to walk across campus by herself late at night.

“I don’t feel safe walking by myself,” Ruppe said. “The area behind Dallas Hall and around the Heroy Building are particularly dark and make me feel unsafe when I walk around there.”

Ruppe is not alone, as several students have voiced complaints about a lack of lighting throughout campus.

In response to several student complaints, SMU has resumed the Annual Student Lighting Tour to give students a chance to point out areas throughout campus they believe require more light.

Starting tonight at 8, students and university administrators will meet at the flagpole to tour the campus, taking suggestions about where more lights can either be installed or left on during nights and weekends.

The tour will lead two groups of students through campus, allowing them to point out dark areas and learn about safer routes between locations.

Michael Paul, the university’s executive director of facilities and management sustainability and leader of the tour, feels the tour is the best way to educate students about safe routes around campus and help them notify administration of places that may require more lighting. SMU Police Chief Rick Shafer will also be leading the tour.

“We’re trying to make sure things are as safe as possible for students,” Paul said. “As we get to see route during the tour, then we analyze these spots and see if they are a safe lit route.”

Requests for additional lighting along Bishop Boulevard have been answered, as SMU maintenance crews will be installing bollards at each crosswalk along the boulevard to help direct traffic. These short, round posts will also include electrical outlets, providing tailgaters more access to energy home football games. Paul said these fixtures will be installed by this weekend’s game against East Carolina University.