SMU track and field takes top-10 by storm at TCU Invitational

The SMU track and field team opened the outdoor season strong, placing eight girls in top-10 finishes this past week at the TCU Invitational in Fort Worth.

Freshman standout Craishia Washington led the team, breaking the SMU 100-meter record with a time of 11.57, beating former record holder and current senior Amber Evans’ record by .05 seconds.

Washington also placed third in the 200-meter with a time of 23.58.

Despite foregoing her 100-meter title to Washington, Evans was still a force to be reckoned with at the meet, placing second in the 200-meters.

Her time of 23.53 is a new personal best, and is only .1 seconds behind the current SMU record in the event.

The team was strong in the distance events too- Mary Alenbratt placed second in the 800-meters with a time of 2:12.86, just .5 seconds behind the first place finisher.

Freshman Frida Kristiansson rounded out the top five in the 1500-meters, finishing with a time of 4:45.15.

The throwing team held their own during the meet, claiming half of the team’s top-five finishes.

Senior Ayla Gill took second in the hammer throw with an impressive mark of 52.79 meters while sophomore Helena Perez took second in the shot put with a throw of 15.29 meters.

Freshman Rayann Chin placed third in discus, with a throw of 47.41 meters and fifth in the shot put, with a distance of 14.21 meters.

The ladies head to the University of Texas at Arlington next week to compete in the Bobby Lane Invitational.