Former SMU president ad interim dies

Memorial to be held July 20 at SMU-in-Taos
Former SMU president ad interim dies

Dr. William B. Stallcup Jr. spent four decades of his life serving SMU. First he was a student, then he became a teacher and administrator. He eventually became the president ad interim following the NCAA death penalty ruling in 1986.

“A dedicated teacher, Bill Stallcup repeatedly answered the call to serve as an administrator in times of special need,” SMU President R. Gerald Turner said. “He provided leadership most importantly as interim president during a troubled time. SMU’s transition to brighter days would not have been possible without his leadership, integrity and dedication. In the history of SMU, he stands out as an exemplary steward of positive change.”

Stallcup died at his home in New Mexico on June 7 at the age of 87. A memorial service will be held on July 20 at SMU-in-Taos.

“Bill Stallcup’s passing is monumental in terms of his contribution to SMU,” said Marshall Terry, professor emeritus of English and an authority on the history of the university. “He was a person of intelligence, integrity and quiet courage. He was a gentle man who represented the best in SMU.”

Stallcup was born in Dallas. He graduated from SMU with a bachelor’s degree in biology in 1941. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Air Force as a waist gunner and radar counter-measure specialist. He was a decorated first lieutenant, honored with the Air Medal and several oak leaf clusters.

He served as a professor at SMU after the war until he was recalled to active duty to serve in the Korean War. During that war, Stallcup instructed pre-med students at the University of Kansas, earning his Ph.D. in zoology while at the school.

He returned to SMU in 1954 as an assistant professor of biology. In 1962, he was promoted to full professor. He served as the chair of the Department of Biological Sciences, associate dean of faculty in Dedman College, and special assistant to the president. He served as associate provost and acting provost twice.

When President L. Donald Shields retired in 1986 following the Death Penalty, Stallcup was named president ad interim. According to Terry, “His interim presidency during the trials of the football scandal made all the difference because the faculty, staff and students believed in him as a person and leader.”

In 1987, Stallcup returned to teaching. He retired in 1989.

After moving to Taos, Stallcup agreed that he would serve as resident director of SMU-in-Taos from 1990-1992.

He was awarded research grants, professional honors and awards for his life-long service. The Dr. William B. Stallcup Jr. Scholarship in Biology serves to honor his service as president ad interim. In 2002 he was named as one of SMU’s distinguished alumni. Last May, the Board of Trustees awarded Stallcup the Trustee Distinguished Service Award.

Stallcup is survived by his wife, Marcile “Pat” Patterson Stallcup of Ranchos de Taos; a brother, Robert A. Stallcup of Houston; three daughters, Lisà Stallcup Engel of Dallas, Cathy Melanie Stallcup of Albuquerque, and Jerre Ann Stallcup of Encinitas, Calif.; two sons, Michael R. Stallcup of Los Angeles and William B. Stallcup III of Encinitas, Calif.; and six grandchildren.