Kimberly Ovitz: Upcoming young designer shares fashion smarts

Los Angeles-based designer Kimberly Ovitz is the epitome of a young, successful, vibrant businesswoman.

Ovitz began her career in fashion at 14 years old, interning with top companies such as J.Crew and Chanel.

Not only does she possess invaluable out-of-classroom experiences, she also has a liberal arts education from Brown University.

By the time she was 25 years old, Ovitz knew she was already prepared to start her own label. And she did just that.

Now, a year later, just weeks after showing her second collection at New York Fashion Week, Ovitz flew into Dallas for a personal appearance with her clients at Neiman Marcus at NorthPark Center.

“I think my first collection really expressed black and white, timeless, classic, simple. I was like all right, I need to pump it up a little bit now and show a little bit more range so I could appeal to a wider audience as well,” Ovitz said of the difference between her first and second line.

“Every collection evolves in some sort of way, and each collection has a certain intellectual aspect of it. As I grow, the collection grows,” she said.

The Kimberly Ovitz label grew into a comfy-chic compilation of everyday pieces. Hints of equestrian tones are evident in the cut of the trousers and the structure of the blazers.

“I grew up riding horses so that’s a huge influence. I’m trying to build this sort of American equestrian lifestyle brand, so there are always equestrian riffs in each collection and nods to it,” Ovitz said.

She attributes certain genres of art as inspiration as well.

“I’m inspired by minimalist art and design, so that’s the black and the white, very classic, timeless pieces and colors,” she said.

The hues of the collection do not stray far away from the basics, and that is what makes it so wearable.

“You can go day to night, you can change it up and do so many things with it,” she said. “And different personalities as well – like more conservative, more edgy, more funky.”

When asked what she thought was the biggest trend for this fall, comfort was her immediate response.

“I think that comfort is huge for fall. Cozy things that look nice so you can go out in them and still be cozy and comfortable,” she said.

“And then also I think the sexy, easy pieces like these bondage pieces that are just easy to throw on and you have an outfit. You don’t have to try that hard.”

Because her generation is so close to the one currently attending SMU, Ovitz had succinct advice for any future member of the fashion industry. “Just educate yourself. People like hard workers and they will give you an opportunity if you show that you are dedicated and passionate.”

With so much time ahead of this young designer, the possibilities of expanding the Kimberly Ovitz line are infinite. Pursuing menswear and shoes are two of the things she cites as eventual goals.

“I definitely just want to keep growing,” she said.

“I’m excited to see what collaborations could come up. Obviously my dream is one day to do something with Target or something cool like that, where you really get the opportunity to make your collection totally accessible to everyone, which I think is important and cool, especially in the climate we’re in right now.”

Her first two collections established her as a serious designer, and from what the industry has already seen from her, her future work will not disappoint.