The Edwin L. Cox BBA Scholars program recieve $1 million gift

The Edwin L. Cox BBA Scholars program received a boost for the undergraduate merit-based scholarship fund of $1 million from John and Debbie Tolleson, which will contribute to the $10 million endowment goal of the program.

John Tolleson, chairman and CEO for Tolleson Wealth Management, is very involved with SMU. A member of the graduating class of 1970, he has been a member of the SMU Board of Trustees since 2000, as well as chairman of the Executive Board of the Edwin L. Cox School of Business, Vice Chair of the Investment Committee, board member of the Willis M. Tate Distinguished Lecture Series and member of the Parent Leadership Council.

The endowment fund was contributed to fund the scholarships for incoming BBA scholars, freshman distinguished enough to directly enter the Cox School of Business. SMU President R. Gerald Turner said that with merit-based scholarships such as these, the school could attract a wider range of bright students.

“Merit scholarships for outstanding students are one of SMU’s greatest priorities,” Turner said. “By supporting the Cox BBA Scholars Program, John and Debbie Tolleson are helping us to attract additional top students who will benefit from our excellent programs and contribute to our rise in academic quality. We are grateful for the Tollesons’ generosity and foresight in making this gift.”

Approximately 100 students will enter as BBA scholars in the fall and benefit from the contribution. For the Tollesons it was all about helping provide opportunities for these students so they can one day have a bright future and an impact on the business world.

“Debbie and I are pleased to have a part in providing opportunities for some of the nation’s top students to study at SMU as Cox BBA Scholars,” John Tolleson said. “These students come to SMU with strong leadership skills and, through the Cox BBA Scholars Program, they will be prepared for future leadership roles in the world of business.”