Mustangs downed 44-10 by Rice Owls in Houston

Loss is SMU’s second in as many games

After a promising early lead, the Mustangs failed to score againuntil the fourth quarter, losing 44-10 to Rice Saturday inHouston.

SMU (1-5, 1-1 WAC) drove 60 yards on their first offensive driveof the night, and scored on a 36-yard Chris McMurtray field goal.But the Owls’ ground game took over on the next possession,rumbling for 496 yards on the evening. Rice (3-2, 1-1 WAC) was ledby Ed Bailey’s 158 yards on 24 carries and fourtouchdowns.

Owl quarterback Joel Armstrong, who replaced the injured GregHenderson, also ran for 138 yards on 14 carries and only looked tothe air three times, completing one pass for 5 yards.

As for the Mustangs, the team rushed for 147 yards total. Butquarterback Tony Eckert did complete 14 of 22 passes for 138 yards,with two interceptions. Eckert’s favorite target of the nightwas sophomore receiver Bobby Chase, who caught five passes for 91yards on the night.

The story of the night was Bailey’s success. Scoring onruns of 1, 9, 5 and 1 yards out, Bailey led the Owls to victoryonly a week after losing to San Jose State by a score of 70-63, thehighest-scoring regulation game in Division I-A history lastweek.

San Jose State lost to SMU 36-13 two weeks ago.

Defensively, senior safety Alvin Nnabuife led the Mustangs with17 tackles, one forced fumble and one pass deflection.

The Mustangs now look to Saturday’s game against LouisianaTech. After getting some rest Monday, senior outside linebacker DonIeremia-Stansbury likes the team’s chances.

“We always play well at home, and even with the losswe’re still in WAC contention,” he said. “Sowe’re keeping our heads up.”

Ieremia-Stansbury, Nnabuife and the rest of the Mustang defensewill need to have their heads up for the game, as LouisianaTech’s Ryan Moats returns to his hometown Saturday. Moats iscurrently the nation’s leading rusher, racking up 928 yardson 139 attempts and nine touchdowns so far this season.

“It should be a good challenge for us,” saidIeremia-Stansbury, “but we’ll be up for it.”

Saturday’s game is set for an early 5 p.m. kickoff time atGerald J. Ford Stadium.