SMU women’s basketball loses to Rice, draws UTEP for first round in C-USA tournament

Senior+Haley+Day+goes+up+for+a+shot+Thursday+night+at+Moody+Coliseum+against+the+Rice+Owls+and+lost+73-63.+
SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus
Senior Haley Day goes up for a shot Thursday night at Moody Coliseum against the Rice Owls and lost 73-63.

Senior Haley Day goes up for a shot Thursday night at Moody Coliseum against the Rice Owls and lost 73-63. (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

SMU took on Rice Thursday in Moody Coliseum for the final game of the season. However, Head Coach Rhonda Rompola was disappointed having one of her seniors that has started all four years on the bench. This player being Delisha Wills.

“I feel so bad for Delisha with everything she has given to us and she can’t play the last home game. I know that’s frustrating for her. We really need her for the tournament, and I think if tonight had been the tournament she would have tried it but I need her to rest the next few days to make sure she is ready in El Paso, We lost a lot of leadership without her out there,” Rompola said.

Haley Day had yet another impressive game, putting up 12 total points, just two behind Alisha Filmore with 14 points for the evening.

“Her pursuit of the basketball is so good. If we had 15 players that go after the basketball like Haley Day we would be in good shape,” Rompola said.

SMU is currently struggling with injuries and hopes to improve on those before leaving for El Paso on Monday night for the conference tournament.

“I need to give them the day off tomorrow. I don’t see myself giving them two days of rest, but definitely tomorrow and probably Sunday because we were hobbling down the court tonight. Some of our players are really hurting,” Rompola said.

The Mustangs drew the University of Texas at El Paso Miners for the first round of the C-USA tournament. They have beaten the Miners twice before this year, but aren’t planning on going into the game with too much confidence.

“I am happy with this first round draw. I would much rather play a team that we have beaten twice than a team we have lost to. I think our girls are ready and definitely have what it takes to win this game,” Rompola said.