SMU Short Takes

Scholars examine social control on Spanish frontier

Scholars of the United State. and Mexican borderlands will discuss how social control was exerted on the Spanish frontier from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at SMU in the Meadows Museum of Art Smith Auditorium. “Social Control of Spain’s North American Frontiers: Choice, Persuasion and Coercion” is presented by the SMU Williams P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies in Dedman College.

The conference is the culmination of a year-long dialogue among scholars of the United States, Mexico and Spain about the degree of social control exerted by Spanish authorities against its peoples, particularly Native Americans. Registration is $20 for students and $30 for others, which includes lunch.

General admission is $5 and includes the keynote address. For more information, contact the Clements Center at (214) 768-1233.

Engineering Career Week concludes

The final day of Engineering Career Week will allow students to brush up on their interviewing skills with mock interviews. There will also be a workshop on graduate school options for graduating seniors. For more information, contact Dawna Milligan at (214) 768-2286 or visit www.careers.smu.edu.

Graduate students offered networking opportunity

SMU’s School of Engineering will sponsor a networking event Sunday at the Plano Center, 2000 E. Spring Creek Blvd. in Plano. The event will be held from 6 – 9 p.m. and is open to current and prospective graduate students as well as corporate professionals. The featured speaker will be Seth Pickett, manager of optical strategy for Cisco Systems.

His lecture will be titled “Optical Technologies in Communication: Boom or Bust.” For more information, contact [email protected] or call (214) 768-1403.

Chi Omega holds canned food drive

Students looking to lose weight now have a place to unload extra canned goods for charity.

Chi Omega sorority will be collecting canned and non-perishable foods to donate to a local charity.

All food should be dropped off at the Chi Omega house at 3014 Daniel Street all day Monday. For more information, call Allenna Bangs at (214) 739-3109 or e-mail [email protected].