Men end winning streak, lose to Drake

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
SMU sophmore Gaston Cuadranti serves the ball during doubles play against UC Santa Barbara April 2011 at Turpin tennis stadium.

SMU sophmore Gaston Cuadranti serves the ball during doubles play against UC Santa Barbara April 2011 at Turpin tennis stadium. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

After winning the past three matches easily against Southern Miss, Prairie View A&M and University of Illinois at Chicago, the Mustangs lost a close one on Wednesday to Drake at home at Bent Tree Country Club.

The Mustangs are now 6-4 at home, with an overall record of 7-6. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs improve their overall record to 15-2.

The Mustangs have been led this season by junior Gaston Cuadranti. The Argentinean has an overall record of 8-5 this season in singles competition, while holding a 1-0 record against nationally ranked opponents.

On Wednesday, Cuadranti was bested Drake’s Anis Ghorbel in the first singles competition in three sets. Cuadranti also lost in doubles competition as well. Despite these losses, Cuadranti is having an impressive season.

Another big performer for SMU this season has been Arturs Kazijevs. The freshman from Latvia the best singles record on the team with a record of 8-2 so far this season. Kazijevs continued his impressive season with a win against Drake’s Jean Erasmus. This was one out of only two SMU singles wins on Wednesday.

Sophomore Pablo Perez-Esnaola has been strong for the Mustangs this season too. Perez-Esnaola is 7-5 on the season, but unfortunately lost to Drake James McKie in singles.

The Mustang’s next competition will be at Tulane on Thursday in New Orleans, La. Tulane’s overall record this season is 8-6. The Conference USA Championships begin on April 20.