Tennis tames Tigers

Tennis tames Tigers
Tennis tames Tigers

Tennis tames Tigers

The women’s tennis team improved to 4-4 by upsetting the44th-ranked and undefeated LSU Tigers 5-2 at Haggar Tennis Stadiumon Tuesday.

The team celebrated with high fives and laughter and will berewarded with a day of no practice after a much-needed win againstLSU.

This win brings the lady Mustangs back to .500 after losing sometough matches to strong teams including TCU, Tulsa and Louisvilleearlier in the season.

“We were due,” head coach Rob Howarth said.”We’ve had a lot of tough matches lately and it wasgreat to take this one.”

The Mustangs opened the day by winning two out of three doublesmatches.

Doubles partners Jenny Langer and Allison Leuszler won at thetwo spot with a close 9-8 match. The No. 3 team, Lynsie Jones andNadia Vaughan, followed with another 9-8 victory.

“Everyone just realized we could really beat thisteam,” Langer said. “It was a good opportunity for usand we just took it.”

Following behind the double victors, the singles portion of theafternoon proved to be just as successful. The singles players tookfour out of six matches against the Tigers.

SMU’s No. 1 player, Svetlana Kouzmenko, won her ninthmatch this year by beating LSU’s Jessica Ferguson. The winagainst Ferguson, who has won her last five matches, could propelKouzmenko into the collegiate rankings for singles players.

“[Kouzmenko] had an exceptional performance today,”Howarth said. “She’ll probably be ranked top 50now.”

Singles players, Langer, Vaughan and Halley Rambally all won instraight sets while maintaining this season’s home courtadvantage. Tuesday’s big win not only places SMU closer totheir season goal of making the top 50, but it also ruins theTigers best record in five seasons.

“Last year we lost to a lot of ranked teams,” Langersaid. “It’s always good to get these wins.”

The team now prepares for a weekend of tough competition againstanother top team: Alabama.

The women still keep the bigger picture of the NCAA tournamentand post-season play in mind. The plan is to keep working hardthrough every match.

“I keep stressing to make sure the girls just compete, andthat’s what they did today,” Howarth said. “Thatwas a major reason we did so well today. It just shows how goodthings can happen.”

The team will take its increasing confidence to Houston thisweekend as they try to improve its 4-4 record in dual matchesagainst Alabama and Houston.

The Mustangs will be back in action for nine straight matches atHaggar Tennis Stadium beginning at 2 p.m. on Feb. 27 versusSouthwest Missouri State.