A dancer’s story

An (almost) hourly account of Mustang Marathon
 A dancers story
A dancer’s story

A dancer’s story

Friday: The beginning of the madness

6 p.m.: All dancers line up in the garage of Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports. In a single file line, we are ushered upstairs into the dancer floor, which is surrounded by barricades. We pass through a mob of cheering moralers.

On stage, coordinators for Mustang Marathon introduce several people responsible for the event, including MM chairs, and Jim Barber. To kick start the night, Arlene Manthey gives a big “FIRE IT UP,” – which gets the place cookin’. I think I’m ready.

7 p.m.: Dancers are fed dinner, which is catered by Campizis. Afterwards, we are all taught the Mustang Shuffle – a combination of about seven different songs with a line dance to match – which was performed by dancers and moralers on the hour, every hour… almost.

8 p.m.: Plano’s very own Knockout dance company entertaines everyone at Mustang Marathon with dance routines and hip hop numbers. The highlight is the youngest soloist, a girl around ten or 11 years old, dancing to Janet Jackson’s Nasty Boys. Nothing more exciting than a pre-pubescent singing about scandalous sex, eh?

9-12: I don’t really remember what happened during this time… video games? Black Jack? Guest speakers? Who knows?! But, there is one thing I know for sure – there is definitely dancing.

Also, a vibrating leather chair brought on stage is given to the most spirited dancers to take a break for thirty minutes. I’m going to try for it.

Saturday: 22 Hours left, and counting

Midnight: Another catered meal, this time Hooters wings.

1 a.m.: ’80s cover band Poison Cherry performs hits like White Snake’s Here I Go Again on my Own, which helps pick up the spirit.

2 a.m.: During the Mustang Marathon talent show, first-year Ashley Earnest shows off weird body parts. It kind of freaks me out. Coco Martinez sings a capella.

Also, arts and crafts time – no fun. I try to play with the Legos but the boys keep stealing them.

3 a.m.: While most marathoners are being taught hip hop dance moves, I played foosball with a moraler and Lit Fest Chair Eric Johnson. The score is pretty close, getting up into the 30s at one point. I think my game improved tons.

3:45 a.m.: More food! This time, make your own Sundays. It looks pretty messy, but turns out yummy.

4:15 a.m.: Chinese Freeze Tag.

6 a.m.: I win 50 person twister! My life reaches its pinnacle! Prize: gift certificate for $15 to Spaghetti Warehouse.

6:30 a.m.: Limbo.

7:45 a.m.: Weird human tricks. Earnest freaks me out again.

8:30 a.m.: We are let out for a walk around the track. The sunlight hurts my eyes. When we got back inside, we do the Mustang Shuffle again. I’m pretty sure I fell asleep midway through the dance. Weird.

10:20 a.m.: Indoor slip and slide… with baby powder. What?

11 a.m.: Play a little dodge ball. Next, a BRUTAL game of Red Rover, Red Rover. Boys are rough – my left knee has a bruise the size of a baseball and my right elbow hurts to bend.

12 p.m.: Another awesome meal, this time catered by Chipotle.

Play a game of musical chairs – I win! Prize: get to sit in the vibrating chair for thirty minutes.

12:25 p.m.: Almost fall asleep five times, have to get up. Mustang Shuffle again.

1 p.m.: This is probably the coolest part of the entire Marathon. First, a spokesperson from Bryan’s House (a local charity) speaks to everyone. Next, a representative from the Elizabeth Glacier Foundation (a national charity) talks to us. Later, two parents who have benefited from Bryan’s House tell the dancers their stories. Afterwards, kids from Bryan’s House come over and are able to hang out and play with everyone involved with Mustang Marathon. Cartoonists are at the event drawing pictures of anyone who volunteered.

5 p.m.: Around this time the Tiffany Shea Band performs for about an hour; they are really great. Next up is a country rock band – not too shabby. Lots of dancers and moralers enjoy this part of the Marathon, considering the amount of people dancing in front of the stage.

As for the rest of Saturday, it is pretty much a blur. I learn how to Salsa dance, and Square dance, though I’m not sure how well I did at either. By 8:30 that evening I, along with most every body, am pretty delusional. Overall, it is a fabulous experience, one that cannot be replaced by anything else. When everyone is absolutely exhausted as we eat our “last meal,” and people were STILL dancing to background music while they eat, well… I think that pretty much says it all. No matter how tired, how worn out or how exhausted we were, we just kept dancing. It’s for the kids, you know.

In conclusion, it is of this writer’s humble opinion that Mustang Marathon ROCKED. Hey dancers, Show Me Your Tan Line.