Martin candidate for Doak Walker Award

DeMyron Martin is among other college football players to be considered for the Doak Walker Award.
John Schreiber

DeMyron Martin is among other college football players to be considered for the Doak Walker Award. (John Schreiber)

SMU running back DeMyron Martin is one of 51 candidates for the 2007 Doak Walker Award. The award is given to the top running back in college football given away by the Guarantee Bank SMU Athletic Forum.

Martin led the Mustangs in rushing each of the last two seasons. In 2005 Martin scored the third most touchdowns by a freshman in a single season in SMU history and was an integral part of the Mustangs’ win over TCU.

Injuries slowed Martin down last season as he missed five games due to various ailments. But this year is expected to be a resurgence for Martin who is healthy and focused.

Other names on the list include last year’s winner Darren McFadden and finalists Mike Hart and Steve Slaton.

The award was named after SMU great and Heisman Trophy winner Doak Walker. The award was started in 1989 and is the only collegiate award that requires the athlete to be in good academic standing and on pace to graduate.

The list will be reduced on Nov. 12 when the semifinalists are announced, and again on Nov. 19 when the finalists are announced. The final vote will take place on Nov. 26 and the award will be given away at the presentation banquet on Feb. 15.