Pepsi Boycott

Silly spat splits stars

Who would have guessed the latest scandal to hit the wires would involve Pepsi, Russell Simmons, the Osbournes, Madonna, professional basketball and Bill O’Reilly. At least, it seems we’re done with Justin Timberlake – although it does involve Britney Spears, peripherally.

Hip-hop icon Russell Simmons, founder of Def Jam Records and the man generally credited with bringing black, hip-hop culture into the American mainstream since the ’80s, said Tuesday that he will announce a boycott organized by the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network of the soda giant in response to a perceived double standard against hip hop culture.

The kerfluffle arose over Simmons’ anger at Pepsi for placing foul-mouthed Ozzy Osbourne in a Superbowl commercial only months after pulling a spot starring rapper Ludacris for his vulgar language.

The 30-second spot, called “Party,” featured a barn party with Ludacris on stage. While there were no obscene lyrics in the commercial, Pepsi says that it received several customer complaints about Ludacris’ sexually explicit lyrics.

But the real determinant was when conservative commentator Bill O’Reilly accused the company of being immoral for putting Ludacris in the ads and urged a boycott of his own.

Pepsi has a long history of taking risk with rising stars from Madonna to Britney Spears in its television spots, but unfortunately the company also has a long history of riding the cutting edge and then shying away.

They pulled the Ludacris ads after a month of protest, just as they pulled the Material Girl’s “Like a Prayer” commercial in 1989.

Pepsi is not entirely comfortable in believing that “the next generation” could be classified as the “immoral” generation. Let their social conscience be praised.

In taking risks like putting controversial celebrities like the Osbournes, Madonna or Ludacris in their commercial spots, advertisers hope to attract the attention of consumers; it’s all a show.

And perhaps by pulling out of their commitments, Pepsi hopes to attract even more attention.

And Russell Simmons isn’t walking the golden path to sainthood either. It’s no coincidence that the boycott was announced in Atlanta, rival Coca-Cola home town, during a star-studded weekend featuring professional basketball’s All-Star Game.

So during a weekend filled with fashion, parties and entertainment overshadowing basketball, Pepsi, a company with image controversy overshadowing its product quality, will face a political protest eclipsed by the image of the man who organized it.

Ah, the joy of cola!