Volleyball starts strong with three wins in tournament

SMUs Stefanie Kons (No. 4) sets the ball as WCUs Kara Lynzee Brooks (back) and Amanda Kerr (front) attempt the block during Friday evenings matchup in Moody.
John Schreiber
SMU’s Stefanie Kons (No. 4) sets the ball as WCU’s Kara Lynzee Brooks (back) and Amanda Kerr (front) attempt the block during Friday evening’s matchup in Moody.

SMU’s Stefanie Kons (No. 4) sets the ball as WCU’s Kara Lynzee Brooks (back) and Amanda Kerr (front) attempt the block during Friday evening’s matchup in Moody. (John Schreiber)

The Mustangs’ volleyball team started the season off strong sweeping the SMU Invitational 3-0, defeating Western Carolina, McNeese State and Eastern Illinois.

SMU eased through the first two matches defeating both Western Carolina and McNeese State 3-0. The freshmen got a chance to show their skills early in the season, earning playing time in the first game against Western Carolina.

Freshmen Caitlin Adair and Kathryn Wilkerson each had an impact in their SMU debuts. Adair led the team, hitting .588 in the match, and Wilkerson achieved a double-double including a team-leading 17 kills.

Candice Davis, who was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week, led the team with 20 digs Fellow team veteran and co-captain Caitlin Rainbird tallied a double-double with 13 kills and 11 digs.

Rainbird’s co-captain Rachel Giubilato made her 2007 debut in the second game of the season against McNeese State. Giubilato scored a double-double, Natalie Peters led the team with 17 kills and a .371 hitting percentage and, once again, Davis led the team with 20 digs.

The Mustangs ran into tougher competition in their final match of the tournament against Eastern Illinois. Both teams entered with a 2-0 record, but SMU won the first, third and fifth sets to take the match and the tournament.

Junior Stephanie Kons averaged 13.27 assists over the five games, 146 for the match. Giubilato and Wilkerson each earned double-doubles and Davis outdid her performances in the first two matches with 26 digs.

Kons was named the MVP, Davis earned Best Libero and Peters was added to the All-Tournament Team.

The Mustangs will look to continue their streak next weekend in the Texas Tech Invitational. While in Lubbock, SMU will face Lamar, Villanova and the Red Raiders.

The Mustangs will return home on Sept. 7 for the SMU Radisson Invitational.