Colt knost wins second amateur tournament

Former SMU golfer Colt Knost won the 2007 U.S. Amateur Championships this past weekend in San Francisco. Knost reached the final day head-to-head competition and defeated Michael Thompson in the 36-hole final round.

Neither player was able to pull away from the other. Knost achieved a two-hole lead twice, which was the largest lead by either player for the last day. The final hole was not needed as Knost secured a two-hole lead on the 35th, giving him the title.

Knost won the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship last month making him only the sixth player in history to win two amateur tournaments in the same year.

When asked about the two amateur wins in an interview for the USGA Web site, Knost said, “They’re both really special. With the Public Links, I think that got me on to the Walker Cup team. That was a big step for me confidence-wise.” Knost added, “Because that was my first big amateur, really big amateur win. And then this one is the ultimate. And to cap off the summer like this, I couldn’t draw it up any better.”

Knost will later compete on the Walker Cup team in Northern Ireland at the beginning of September. Also, with the win, Knost’s assured a spot in the 2008 U.S. Open and will receive an invitation to play in the 2008 Masters Tournament.