Vagina nation

Filling up the Glass
 Vagina nation
Vagina nation

Vagina nation

Be forewarned that this column contains highly offensive material. The damage that occurs on a daily basis to women and their vaginas in a global culture that systematically disempowers and abuses them ought to make you cringe in disgust. So I present a few of the facts. If an open discourse about vaginas makes you more uncomfortable than the information below, you should do everyone a favor and duct tape yourself into a dark little room and never come out.

• In 2001, the U.S. Department of Justice reported 250,000 incidents of rape and sexual assault in the United States alone.
  • A rape occurs in the United States every two minutes.
  • As many as 70 percent of rapes that occur in our country go unreported, unprosecuted and unpunished.
  • A woman is beaten every 15 seconds in the United States.
  • Since studies in 1986, a consistent 30 percent of women in the United States have reported being the victim of at least one incident of violence in a romantic relationship.
  • In some countries, that statistic skyrockets upwards of 50 percent of all women.
  • Modest estimates indicate that one woman in four in America will experience some form of sexual violence in her lifetime.
  • The World Health Organization reports that in most countries in the world, including our own, at least 20 percent of all women will be raped.
  • At SMU, with a student population of 10,064, four of what the SMU PD calls “forcible sex offenses” have been reported since 2000. Five have been reported to other campus organizations. No estimates are available on how many have not been reported.

Think about all of the women you know, the women you care about, the women that make an impact on your life. If you know four or more, there’s a better than decent chance that at least one of them has been affected by sexual violence. Our society has tolerated and condoned violence against women, both implicitly and overtly, since it’s inception centuries ago. It’s frightening to imagine how slowly and minutely things have changed.

It’s true that important steps forward have been made toward ending violence against women. Rape crisis hotlines, domestic violence shelters and community awareness programs have emerged everywhere and make an impact constantly. Yet the violence continues. The need for these programs hasn’t waned.

From a practical standpoint, violence against women costs our country billions of dollars every year in court costs, lost wages and other expenses. Discrimination keeps millions of women worldwide from composing an active and contributing segment of society, lowering GDPs and productivity of all kinds. The social and economic costs of violence are simply staggering.

Until women and their bodies are universally respected, it’s hard to imagine a world where the epidemics of forced prostitution, slave trafficking, beatings, muggings, rapes and assaults aren’t a constant threat to millions of women worldwide.

Violence is happening right now, everywhere, covertly and in plain view. Women are its disproportionate targets, and their vaginas are often the sites of the violent acts. As long as we are afraid to talk about vaginas, are offended by their existence and want nothing more but to keep them hidden and silent, there’s little hope that the situation will change.

It’s a shame that we couldn’t accelerate our civilization from zero to equal in eight decades or less. There’s still work to be done. A large part of the work involves turning women’s bodies from potentially abused objects into safe sacred spaces in the cultural centers of each of our brains. We can’t do that while a part of that space is reviled, detached and obscured in our minds.

Violence is in your community, in your city, in your world, on your campus, inside your head. You have a responsibility to make it so that women aren’t afraid to leave their homes at night, for your own sake and for the sake of the women you love.