Former NFL coach visits campus

Steve Spurrier reflects on coaching career, comments on college football today

Former University of Florida coach and 1966 Heisman TrophyWinner Steve Spurrier discussed his coaching career and what isahead for him at the SMU Athletic Forum on Tuesday.

Spurrier, who last coached the National Football League’sWashington Redskins, is looking forward to some time off.

“I’m definitely taking a year off,” Spurriersaid. “I’ll be low-key.”

Spurrier is excited about seeing his son, a high school senior,more in the future and watching him compete in several sportsincluding football.

Spurrier made the decision to leave the Redskins organization atthe end of this season. He is unsure whether he will ever coachagain.

“I just thought it may be best if I just steppedaside,” he said. “I don’t know if the passion tocoach again will hit me or not.”

In Spurrier’s two years as head coach of the Redskins, theteam compiled a 12-20 record.

Despite his lack of success in the NFL, Spurrier does not feelthat there is anything fundamentally different in coaching NFL orcollege teams.

Spurrier will be replaced by Joe Gibbs who has been away fromthe game for 11 years and previously led the Redskins to threeSuper Bowls.

Reguarding his lack of success while in Washington, Spurrierseemed slightly uncaring.

“I don’t think I did a very good coachingjob,” he said. “All coaches don’t win all thetime.”

“I’m not big on excuses, and we just didn’tget it done.”

Reflecting on his career with the Florida Gators, it is evidentthat Spurrier misses the NCAA spirit.

“I miss the big college games and the big crowds,”he said. “All the games [in college] are extremelyimportant.”

Before becoming head coach of the Gators in 1990, Spurrier spenttime in other coaching positions at Georgia Tech, Duke and theUnited States Football League’s Tampa Bay Bandits (the USFLhas since dissolved).

While at Duke, he led the Blue Devils to their first ACCchampionship in 29 years. The team was named co-champions alongwith Virginia Tech.

However, Spurrier’s skills did not show until his successat his alma mater of Florida. Under Spurrier, the Gators won atleast nine games for 11 straight seasons. Along the way the teamracked up 81 Southeastern Conference wins, a league record, andSpurrier led the Gators to six outright SEC championships.

Spurrier is also the only major college coach in the 20thcentury to win 100 games in his first 10 years. Spurrier won 102 inthe 1990s.

The pinnacle of Spurrier’s collegiate coaching career wasthe Gators’ national championship in 1996.

“The national championship is the biggest thrill forGators and our biggest accomplishment,” he said.

Spurrier is also proud of the consistency of the college teamshe coached.

Today’s game has changed since Spurrier won his Heisman in1966.

“The athletes are stronger, bigger and quicker,”Spurrier said.

An issue Spurrier feels needs some help in today’s worldof college football is recruiting.

“I don’t really like [the process] all thatmuch,” he said. “Most of the kids take a few extravisits to party, and I think three visits would beplenty.”

Head SMU football coach, Phil Bennett, who was in attendance,greatly admires and respects Spurrier.

Speaking briefly, Bennett promised the 2004-2005 football seasonwould be better.

“Better things are going to happen on the Hilltop,”Bennett said. “Better days are ahead.”

Spurrier is a supporter of Bennett and SMU athletics ingeneral.

“I certainly admire SMU athletics,” Spurrier said.”It’s a great blend of athletics andacademics.”

“I’m pulling for SMU, coach Bennett, and theMustangs,” he said.