Cox hosts networking how-to event

Cox hosts networking how-to event
Cox hosts networking how-to event

Cox hosts networking how-to event

You’ll never get a second chance to make first impression.This is not a reference to the Head and Shoulders commercial. Thinkof it as a reason to get those networking skills in order.

Thursday night the Cox School of Business teamed with SMUToastmasters, BBA Career Services and Business Associates MentoringProgram to host a networking event.

“It’s so vital to know how to network to besuccessful,” BBA Career Services Director Kim Holladay said.Holladay says networking skills are not something you necessarilylearn in the classroom, and giving students an opportunity to jumpright in and learn hands-on is a valuable experience.

“Our goal is to teach [students] a lifelong skill theywill use in their personal lives and business career,”Holladay said.

First, students participated in a pre-workshop to receiveinstruction on how to make self-introductions and have briefconversations. Fifty volunteers from local business firmsinteracted with 100 students in a timed setting and then gavefeedback on how the students presented themselves.

“Some of our best folks have come from SMU,” saidJarrod Bassman, management assurance manager of KPMG. Bassman saysit’s encouraging to see potential future colleagues beforethey graduate.

Holladay also said that many students have never had theopportunity to meet professionals and get an opportunity to startupdating their rolodexes while they’re still in school.

Students traveled around the Fincher Gallery in pairs spending15 minutes with one business professional. Each student had fiveminutes to introduce himself and try to make a good initial impact.The other student took her turn and then the two each got atwo-and-a-half minute evaluation on their effectiveness. Each pairhad an opportunity to meet with three different professionalsbefore the night was over.

“Networking is something you just think you know how todo, but there was a lot that I learned tonight,” said juniorfinancial consulting and economics major Bobby Aitkenhead.

President of the SMU chapter of Toastmasters Finny Benny said hewas more than happy to help sponsor tonight’s event.

“We have a large group of corporate sponsors who wereeager to volunteer to help,” Benny said. “This actuallygives students the chance to talk one-on-one with people who areactually working in the industry they want to get into aftergraduation.”

At the very least, students left with fat pocket full ofbusiness cards.