Chip Hiemenz wins by 49 votes

Healy, Travers will also take on new Senate positions
 Chip Hiemenz wins by 49 votes
Chip Hiemenz wins by 49 votes

Chip Hiemenz wins by 49 votes

With a platform focusing on improving campus safety, the healthcenter and funding for student organizations, Student Senate Chiefof Staff Chip Hiemenz narrowly defeated Student Body Vice PresidentLyndsey Hummert for the position of student body president.

The results of the student body elections were announced lateFriday afternoon.

“It’s hard to describe [this] feeling,”Hiemenz said. “This is such a rewardingexperience.”

Unlike last year’s run-off election between currentstudent body president Thomas Kincaid and Michael Dorff, there wereno complaints or problems with this year’s elections, StudentSenate membership committee chair Katy Blakey said.

Hiemenz got the 51 percent of the votes needed for a clean win.He had 757 votes, while Hummert garnered 708.

“There’s no way I could have

done this by myself,” Hiemenz said, citing students andfriends that supported him and helped with his campaign.

Student Senator Liz Healy defeated Dedman I Senator Katie Waltonfor the position of student body vice president.

Healy’s goals include increasing the number of studentparking spaces, integrating to-go meals in meal plans and unitingthe campus through athletics and campus-wide events.

Student Senator Gabe Travers, running uncontested with aplatform centering on communication between students and theSenate, won the position of student body secretary.

“I think that there’s an excellent team ready to gofor next year. The students will be well-served,” Kincaidsaid.

The elections also saw a higher voter turnout with 1,541students participating compared with an average of 1,200 studentsin previous years.

With over 15 categories to vote in, students could selectcandidates that were not on the ballot.

Although some offered legitimate write-in candidates, Blakeysaid, others chose Kincaid again, Peruna, John Kerry and theinfamous Ben Dover.

The winners will be sworn-in during Mane Event in April, butthey won’t officially take over until May 1.