Knost, Kraft finish first round at HP Byron Nelson Championship

SMU Alumni Kelly Kraft is participating in the HP Byron Nelson Championship.
Photo Courtesy of SMU Athletics

SMU Alumni Kelly Kraft is participating in the HP Byron Nelson Championship. (Photo Courtesy of SMU Athletics)

Colt Knost (’07) and Kelly Kraft (’11) began their first rounds of the HP Byron Nelson Championship Thursday. The former Mustangs teed off within 10 minutes of each other at 1:20 p.m.; Knost on the front nine and Kraft on the back nine of the TPC Four Seasons Resort in Irving, Texas.

Temperatures hit the high 80’s as Knost made it through the front nine with three consecutive birdies, four pars and two bogeys.

Kraft shot a double bogey on his first hole, No. 10, followed by all pars on the back nine besides a bogey on No. 14 and 18, where he lost a ball in the water.

The sun continued to beat down in North Texas as Knost and Kraft shot their last nine holes.

Knost finished the course 2-over par, with all pars except a bogey on No. 12 and double-bogey on No. 14. His longest drive of the day was 284.5 yards.

Kraft came out a little bit stronger on the front nine, with three bogeys and six pars. He finished the day with 27.78 percent greens in regulation and a longest drive of 272.5 yards. Kraft finished 7-over par.

The leaders for the first round of the HPBNC were Ryan Palmer (-6), Marc Leishman and Alex Cejka (-5).

The two SMU grads will tee off early Friday morning.

Check back for updates on the tournament.