America’s most popular holiday

Sure shot
 Americas most popular holiday
America’s most popular holiday

America’s most popular holiday

First of all, who came up with the idea of Celine Dion singing “God Bless America”? I don’t see Mariah Carey singing “Oh Canada” anywhere. This makes very little sense, especially in our new nationalistic, over-eager-to-talk-about-ourselves America. Very odd.

The hits in the Terry Tate office linebacker commercial were more entertaining than any of the hits from the actual Super Bowl, which was the ugliest since at least 1994 and probably since the 49ers pasted the Broncos in 1990. This is of course disregarding the Cowboys-Bills game of 1992, which was a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Miller Lite really needs to get a new schtick. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about the stupid, immature, childish humor, but it has to be funny. How does a clown drink upside down through his . . . well, yeah, when there isn’t even a hole for the drink to get through the pants? I mean come on, people – think this out, please.

The commercial with the Clydesdales watching the zebra look into the instant replay tent had so much potential and was such a letdown. I guess watching a cowboy say “ass” and then another say “zebra” was supposed to be funny.

Anyone that didn’t switch over to the Weekend Update halftime special didn’t miss much, but they did miss the greatness of a “Hardball” spoof in which Tracy Morgan played Reverend Al Sharpton. Best line of the year so far – “I will not stop until there is a black elf up in that animated [Keebler Elf] tree!” Ah, greatness.

Upon reading an article in the Financial Times saying the Super Bowl “has become a symbol of modern American life – loud, vulgar, commercialized, aggressive,” I wonder when the last time the British newspaper went to a Premiership match was. At least we save our loud, aggressive behavior for the grand finale. Every other week, someone in some country dies at a stampede after a soccer match.

Off the subject of sports and to what else I did this weekend. “Band of Brothers” might be the most intense thing I have ever seen on film. I’ve only gotten through the first two episodes of my box set, but I thought I was going to have a stroke about halfway through. Talk about moving. It really shows that the men that have fought for our country in wars have seen things most of us could never possibly even begin to comprehend.

Along these lines, the book “The Fall of Berlin” by Antony Beevor is exceptional reading and, when put together with his earlier book “Stalingrad,” can put you in such a funk that you could sing the “Reading Rainbow” theme song for weeks and still not get cheered up. But they are excellent books.

OK, back to the important stuff. Why is the Super Bowl not a national holiday? Name three days that the majority of the country cares about more than the Super Bowl.

I realize that it is on a Sunday, but some people still have to work on Sundays. People get Columbus Day off to celebrate a Spanish guy getting to North America 600 years after the Vikings. What is that?

Finally, I am sick and tired of how big a deal has been made out of the Buccaneers winning. Yes, Al Michaels calling them “the team that invented losing” was amusing, but come on. Hey, this team sucked 25 years ago, and Sunday they won the Super Bowl. Holy Moley John! That’s like saying SMU should have won the national title in 1982 but got robbed by Penn State, and now they can’t even get on the same field with a national title seeking team! No way!

Go buy the new Zwan CD and be happy about it.