How to create a successful ‘ootd’ post

Courtesy of Cupcakes and Cashmere
Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere shows the details of her outfit

Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere shows the details of her outfit (Courtesy of Cupcakes and Cashmere)

Bloggers today have discovered the appeal of posting their outfit of the day, otherwise known in the digital world as their “ootd,” on their blogs.

Sometimes pictures really do speak louder than words… just take Blair Eadie’s acclaimed blog Atlantic-Pacific, which is strictly outfit posts.

People adore her and covet her unique sense of style because she owns it.

But what makes her even more lovable is her blog’s simplicity and lack of an overwhelming amount of words, which allow her followers to focus on one thing: fashion ensembles.

So what exactly makes an “ootd” post so successful? Here are some tips.

Get personal

This doesn’t mean pouring your heart out in explanation of why you chose what you wore, or why the items you’re wearing are so important to you.

This means showcasing your style, not the style of some fabulous fashionista you saw on Pinterest– yes, they may look good, but that does not mean his or her style reflects yours.

SMU junior Brooke Reagan who is the author of her blog Brooke du Jour, frequently posts her own “ootd.”

According to Reagan, when it comes to posting your own “ootd,” “you can consider trends but ultimately, the outfit that makes you feel the best is the right choice. I think your readers will appreciate your authenticity.”

In a world where there are thousands of fashion bloggers, it’s easy to get side tracked and attempt to impersonate someone else’s style. But, your readers follow your blog for you. Don’t forget that.

Mix it up

You shouldn’t wear out-and-about casual attire in all of your posts.

Spice it up and show your readers what you would wear to, say, a night out with the boyfriend, or a birthday party for your
best girlfriend.

Loyal readers look to you for inspiration, and this means that they want to see a variety of your style depending upon the occasion.

But, repetition in terms of a specific item is definitely OK.

Don’t feel like you can only wear something once. Readers love to see how you incorporate a specific item to fit different looks for different occasions.

This is much more realistic, and authenticity is key to a successful blog.

Switch it up

Keep your outfit posts fresh by changing the location where you take the photo.

It’s fun for the readers to see what you’re up to and where you spend your time, whether it’s at a park, or just wondering
around town.

And for those who live near, or plan to visit, where the blogger frequents, a brief explanation of where you are might be the perfect recommendation that loyal readers will be sure to take into consideration if they’re in the area.

It all counts

When a reader sees an outfit post, they want to see it all – the accessories, the shoes and even the nail polish color.

It’s important to include more than one photo from different angles so the reader can see your entire ensemble throughout a collection of images that show all aspects of your “ootd.”

Link it

For the final touch, include links to where your readers can purchase the items you are wearing or at least to a similar item.

If a reader loves what you’re wearing, chances are they’ll want to be able to buy it, or something like it.

This even comes down to the color of nail polish you are wearing so don’t forget to include all the nitty-gritty stuff as well.

Be careful

According to the Federal Trade Commission (the FTC), bloggers must disclose, when applicable, that they received anything they are wearing as a gift.

This can be done with the simple addition of “c/o” (courtesy of) next to the name of the item.

Making this clear helps to ensure readers that you are honest in telling them what you like and what you don’t based on your true opinion, not because you’re loving the freebies and feel the guilt of supporting the company.

To learn more about regulations when it comes to blogging, visit www.ftc.gov.

Posting your “ootd” takes your blog to a new level by adding a more personal touch.

Even just showing your face helps readers feel like they can connect with you.

Snap like a pro

Investing in a high quality camera is definitely worth it for a fashion blogger because good images make all the difference.

With the addition of a nice layout, strong photos make your blog look even more professional.

Not only will this be more appealing to your readers, but if you plan on showing it to a potential employer they will see that you have more skills than just blogging.