Mustang football springs into action with high hopes for ’04

The Mustang football team began spring training last Thursday.The practice marked the first of 14 practices.

Thursday’s practice marked the first chance forSMU’s 16 recruits and reshuffled coaching staff to experienceMustang football.

“We had a good off-season and it’s plain to see thatlast year we struggled offensively,” head coach Phil Bennettsaid. “We needed some revitalization.”

“Each group of recruits we brought in has leadershipqualities,” he said. “It was a goodoff-season.”

Linebacker Don Ieremia-Stansbury agrees.

“There’s been a big change in attitude for thebetter,” he said. “It’s a new year soeveryone’s hoping for the best.”

Bennett is clearly determined to find a quarterback who can leadthe team on and off the field.

“Our whole deal is to get better. Bennett said.”That means better quarterback play and more consistency ondefense.”

“For nine weeks we had the number one defense in the WACand it’s still by far the youngest defense in theleague.”

In the off-season, Bennett acquired two junior collegequarterbacks, Jerad Romo from Antelope Valley Junior College andTony Eckert from Tyler Junior College. Bennett expects these twosignees to give starting quarterback Chris Phillips somecompetition at the quarterback position.

“The quarterback position is the most competitive rightnow,” Bennett said. “Developing a quarterback ispriority number one.”

The team has struggled with quarterbacks in the past.

Bennett also expects competition at wide receiver, linebackerand some secondary positions.

“We have a lot of talent and potential,” Stansburysaid. “But so far we haven’t been able to put thepotential together.”

“That’s what we’re working on.”

“We’re trying to find the best 11 on both sides ofthe ball,” Bennett said.

Bennett has also shifted the positions of several players.Stansbury moved from defensive end to outside linebacker, RicoHarris switched from safety to outside linebacker and JohnnieFitzgerald moved from linebacker to safety.

“[Harris] hurt his knee last season and he gives us a lotof experience, so we’ll benefit from having him back,”Bennett said.

Eric Neal who moved to left guard sees the changes asnecessary.

“I think it will motivate everybody because it provesthere are no guarantees,” Neal said. “Things had to getshaken up because things weren’t working in the past;it’s like we’re building from the ground up.”

So far, Bennett has noticed a more physical team that is hittingbetter.

The new and reshuffled coaching staff also should rejuvenate theteam.

“They’re good and they’re doing a lot ofdifferent things that will benefit the team,” Stansburysaid.

The team’s practice on Saturday was the first outing inpads this year.

“During [Saturday’s practice] we had the best timingon the ball I’ve seen since I’ve been here.”Bennett said.

Spring training concludes with the traditional Red and Blue Gameon April 17th.

“I think the new names will have surprisingresults,” Bennett said. “Especially the junior collegeacquisitions.”

“A lot of our new guys are young and talented.”

After the Red and Blue Game, the players must take it uponthemselves to continue their workouts. “They have nine weeksof voluntary off-season where they can only meet with the strengthcoach,” Bennett said. “They have to take it onthemselves to get better and to get bigger, stronger andfaster.”

Most players seize the opportunity to get better on theirown.

“Our summer workout ethic has never been a problem,”Neal said. “Seventy out of 80 of our scholarship players werehere in the summer, sometimes more.”

Stansbury believes the voluntary summer session shows the mettleof a player.

“The summer is a whole different ballgame,” he said.”It shows a player’s desire and his truecolors.”

“You get to work at your own pace, but it’sdefinitely a chance to get ahead.”

After the spring and summer workout sessions the team opens athome against intrastate rival Texas Tech.

In fact, four out of the Mustangs’ first five games areagainst potential top-25 teams including Boise State, TCU, TexasTech, and Oklahoma State. Every one of those games but the TexasTech game are on the road.

“It always helps to play quality teams because it helpsus,” Neal said. “The payoff work is playing these big‘national powerhouse teams.'”

“I think we have a legitimate shot to win.”

Stansbury thinks the games will prove a good test for theteam.

“Our main focus will be on where we’re at, not whatthe scoreboard says at the end of the game,” he said.

Bennett assures fans that things in 2004 will be better.

Spring training sessions are closed to the public, but the Redand Blue Game is open to the public. The game begins at 1 p.m. onApril 17th.