2003 may be the year of the video rental

New film offerings use thin plot lines, ridiculous stories to woo potential viewers

It’s time for every movie critic with a pen and an outlet for publication to draft up his top ten lists for the previous year.

About a week before New Year’s, cinephiles were inundated with the best films for the year as told by Roger Ebert, A.O. Scott and People magazine.

And most critics agree 2002 was a great year for film. A number of mainstream movies such as Chicago, Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can enjoyed critical success and several independent films found a Big Fat Greek paycheck at the box office.

It’s also the season for major studios to send out their preview press releases for 2003, and judging from their upcoming releases, the year looks like a Big Fat Greek dud.

Here are a few of our favorites: From Dreamworks, Biker Boyz is an action packed contemporary Western on wheels with desperados who live every day on the edge.

In the world of underground motorcycle clubs, the undefeated racer known as Smoke is the undisputed “King of Cali.”

But Smoke’s dominance is about to be threatened by a young motorcycle racing prodigy called Kid, who’s determined to win Smoke’s helmet and coveted title.

Envy is a story about Tim and Nick who are best friends, neighbors and co-workers. Their equal footing is suddenly tripped up when one of Nick’s get-rich-quick schemes actually succeeds – Vapoorizer.

It’s a spray that makes dog poop, or any other kind for that matter, evaporate into thin air.

Tim passed on Nick’s idea missed an opportunity to get in on the deal. He can only watch as Nick’s fortune – and Tim’s own envy – grow to equally outrageous proportions.

The flames of jealousy are fanned by an oddball driver who takes it upon himself to fix Tim’s situation, but only causes Tim’s life to careen more wildly out of control…and Nick’s with it.

Universal Studios also has some screen gems to look forward to.

Jessica Alba stars as Honey, a dancer and choreographer working as a bartender and record store clerk until she gets her break.

When she finally succeeds, it feels too good to be true. And it is until Honey gets a new dream fueled by the exuberant energy of neighborhood kids. They bring her back to the sheer joy of letting it all out on the dance floor:

From Justin to Kelly: These break out stars from the television series phenomenon “American Idol” come to the big screen in a musical, romantic comedy set against the backdrop of Spring Break in Miami.

The Girl Next Door is the story of a straight-arrow high-school senior who falls in love with the perfect “girl-next-door,” only to discover she is a former porn star.

Wrong Turn: A wrong turn leaves a group of young people trapped in the West Virginia wilderness – and hunted by cannibalistic mountain men grossly disfigured through years of in-breeding.

Happy movie watching, and try not to gag on your popcorn.