SMU celebrates Founder’s Day

Christopher Saul / The Daily Campus
The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum will be celebrated this Founder’s Day weekend.

The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum will be celebrated this Founder’s Day weekend. (Christopher Saul / The Daily Campus)

Campus will be crowded this weekend as students, faculty and alumni join together to commemorate SMU’s founding.

The university’s annual Founder’s Day Weekend has a wide variety of events – from a reunion for alumni classes 1962 earlier to an open spring football practice.

A Centennial Celebration will also highlight the May 1 opening of the Bush Presidential Library.

“We’ll have the opportunity to welcome the Bush Center and Library on the main quad,” Brad Cheves, vice president of development and external affairs, said.

Founder’s Day Weekend comes during SMU’s Second Century Campaign, which seeks to improves academic standing and reputation.

“Founder’s Day Weekend will be a great opportunity for students, faculty, staff, our alumni and our friends from Dallas and around the globe to recognize all that SMU has accomplished since its founding 100 years ago and all that is to come,” Cheves said to The Daily Campus in 2011.

“It truly is the kickoff for our next century of achievement.”

Events will begin Friday at 11 a.m. with the Centennial Celebration on the quadrangle in front of Dallas Hall.

At 1:30 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center the “Inside SMU” program will begin and Alan C. Rowe, director of the Bush Presidential Library, will give an insider’s look at the new building.