NATO talks to Hilltop

Officials field questions concewrning terrorism, Iraq

NATO was put to its biggest test after the Sept. 11 terrorist attack German Naval Commander Fritz Martin said Tuesday.

Explaining that NATO had no troops of its own, Fritz and U.S. Navy Commander Deborah Kruciak spoke to an audience of three dozen students, faculty members and visitors, telling them of the history, purpose and future of NATO.

“The first and most important thing to remember,” Fritz said, “Is that NATO does not own or possess any troops of its own. All troops dispatched to locations by NATO are really dispatched by the president or leader of the various countries.”

Fritz said that the mission of NATO is to preserve the peace, security and territorial integrity of the NATO nations. He said this was put to its strongest test after Sept. 11, 2001. Article 5 of the NATO agreement basically states that if someone threatens or attacks a member of NATO, then the threat applies to all NATO nations.

“Sept. 12 was the first time in NATO’s 53-year history that this rule was invoked,” Kruciak said. “The issue of terrorist threats against NATO nations had never been considered. Each country dealt with terrorists in its own way. Sept. 11 was a wake-up call that told us that we needed to re-evaluate our military structure to deal with the new threat.”NATO was put to its biggest test after the Sept. 11 terrorist attack German Naval Commander Fritz Martin said Tuesday.

“Sept. 12 was the first time in NATO’s 53-year history that this rule was invoked,” Kruciak said. “The issue of terrorist threats against NATO nations had never been considered. Each country dealt with terrorists in its own way. Sept. 11 was a wake-up call that told us that we needed to re-evaluate our military structure to deal with the new threat.”

Fritz said that during the Cold War years, military might was at a peak in many countries. At that time, NATO could call up an army of 8,000 soldiers in less than 30 days. Following the end of the Cold War, the 19 member nations reduced their military strength. Now, he said, it takes a year to call up half as many troops.

Besides dealing with the member nations of NATO, governments now have to deal with several other peace organizations such as the European Organization of Nations. These organizations contain some members that are part of NATO and some that are not. Often forming a coalition is the only way to resolve a situation.

One student asked what NATO would do if the United States goes to war with Iraq.

“Germany has strongly refused to send its troops into such a war,” Kruciak said. “Since a consensus of nations does not exist, NATO will not order a strike. A coalition will have to be formed by America.”

Kruciak explained that when member nations have differences of opinion such as those that exist between Greece and Turkey over Crete, the other nations join in discussion and try to help the nations maintain peace.

“Although we embark on Article 5 and non-Article 5, or peacekeeping missions, our first goal is consultation and cooperation,” Fritz said. “I personally, am very grateful to the U.S. for its peace missions that united Berlin. We had a problem in Europe and a consensus of opinion could not be reached after the communist aggressions of the Cold War. America suggested a resolution that everyone could live with. Now we have a united Germany once again because of your country and NATO.”