Men’s tennis team beats TCU

The men’s tennis team won three clutch matches in singlesplay Sunday afternoon over cross-town rival No. 12 TCU. The 4-3victory places the Mustangs at an overall record of 14-8.

The Mustangs continue playing their tough schedule with plansfor a long post season. Under the leadership of senior JohanBrunstrom and the noticeable improvement in doubles play theMustangs continue to compete for a top spot among the nationalrankings.

The Mustangs started off Sunday’s match with a 1-0 leadtaking two of three doubles matches. The No. 28 ranked duo JohanBrunstrom and Henrik Soderberg won at No. 1 doubles over the No.27ranked TCU team. Peter Oredsson and Gwinyai Chingoka also won atNo. 3 doubles, 8-4 to give the Mustangs the early lead.

“You could tell we were hungry for the win,” JuniorGwinyai Chingoka said. “We went out with no pressure, we hadnothing to lose and it was a really fun match.”

In singles, TCU won at the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles.However, impressive play from the underclassmen helped the Mustangsmaintain the chance for triumph. Sophomore, Peter Oredsson won acrucial match for the Mustangs at No. 5 singles with a 6-1, 7-5wins, while freshman Alex Skrypko also won at the No. 6 spot.

With the match tied at 3-3, SMU’s fate was left with noone better than No. 1 singles player Johan Brunstrom, who has beennamed WAC player of the week twice already this season.

After dropping the first set 6-3 to the No. 39 ranked player,Alex Menichini, Brunstrom fought back with a 7-6 win in the secondset. Brunstrom and Menichini’s thrilling match was the onlyplay in action and left Brunstrom with the burden to beat yetanother top player. Surrounded by his team, coaches and fans,Brunstrom finished off the days play by winning the last set6-4.

The Mustangs are back in action Thursday April 15 when they takeon No. 2 Baylor for the second time this season. Although the firstmeeting left SMU with a 5-2 defeat, the Mustangs look forward totaking their improving play to challenge, once again, another topranked team.

Brunstrom said. “It’s good to get a win against [allthese great teams]. It gives us confidence and that’s what wetrain for…to be the best at the end of theseason.”

The men will be back at Haggar Tennis Stadium to finish offconference play on April 18, 2004 against No. 11 Rice.