Campus stays beautiful despite hot, dry climate

With temperatures in the triple digits, students should be prepared to sweat on their way to class.

And this heat wave doesn’t look like it is going to be letting up any time soon.

The National Weather Service has predicted temperatures over 100 degrees for at least the next week.

Currently the SMU area is not under drought conditions, but the Park Cities have placed a ban on all daytime automatic sprinkler use in an effort to conserve water.

The sustainability effort on campus is also working toward the goal of water conservation.

According to their website, campus restrooms and labs are being checked regularly to watch for leaks.

Rainwater and condensation recovery are also a big part of their plan.

SMU Landscaping is doing its part as well.

The campus grounds crew has worked all through the triple-degree heat summer to keep SMU looking beautiful.

Supplemental watering done on the campus lawn uses portable water tanks filled with reclaimed water and plants have been replaced with more drought tolerant varieties.

“We have a limited amount of resources, especially time, so when it gets really bad we have to determine where those resources are used,” SMU Landscape Resource Manager Kevin Dilliard said. “We may have to pull some annual plants for a period of time till the conditions improve.  But since the expectation of the appearance of the campus is high, we do everything possible to not let beds stay empty too long.”

The landscaping team is also trying out a new method called xeriscaping.

“Xeriscaping is planting the right plant in the right place keeping in mind that this type of drought condition can occur anytime and drought tolerant plants need to be at the top of your plant list,” Dilliard said. “Because all of our new buildings follow LEED standards, the plants surrounding them must be low water use plants which prepare us for the drought.  This does not mean no color and no interest and no water; it just means making good choices and using proper care to help the plants survive during these times.”