Spectrum seeks Senate’s help, again

Last April, Student Senate failed to pass a bill that would have allowed the LGBT community to have a special interest seat.

In order for Senate to determine the number of LGBT students on campus, the legislation called on the Registrar’s office to allow LGBT students to self-identify themselves through Access.

However, after working with the Registrar’s office for several months, Harvey Luna, co-president of Spectrum and one of the authors of the bill, received an email last week that informed him that the Registrar’s office was postponing talks with Spectrum.

During Tuesday’s Senate meeting, members of Spectrum asked for help resuming talks with the Registrar’s office.

“We had been making progress and want it to continue,” Breanna Diaz, activism co-chair of Spectrum, said.

Secretary Martha Pool asked Diaz if the email made a clear distinction between postponing or cutting off all communication with Spectrum.

Though Diaz had not personally seen the email, she said that the Registrar made it clear that they did not want to discuss the issue further.

Thus, Spectrum urged Student Senate to help continue working with the Registrar.

President Austin Prentice also discussed plans for the Founder’s Day celebration in April.

Instead of holding the ceremony in the main quad like the Centennial Celebration last April, Founder’s Day will be held on the opposite side of campus.

“We want to bring light to the south end and break ground where the residential community will be,” Prentice said.