Instagram improves amateur photography

Photographers watch out — Instagram is blurring the lines between amateurs and professionals.

Instagram, a free photo-sharing application, underwent a subtle redesign Friday that enhances the user experience, while allowing amateur photographers to improve the quality of their photos.

“I’m so excited about this new feature,” Ann Rogers said. “It is the perfect way to fly under the radar as a less-than-average photographer.”

The notifications along the bottom of the screen — feed, popular, share and news — have changed to symbols. This allows for a cleaner appearance and sleeker layout of the screen.

Alas, Instagram has added a new feature called Lux.

The Lux feature is indicated by an eclipse symbol in the bottom left-hand corner of the app’s image editing dashboard.

Lux adjusts the brightness, midtone, contrast and saturation in the photo in attempt to bring out more detail.

Essentially, this feature is intended to improve the overall quality of the photo by compensating for the lack any of the inconveniences.

Moreover, Instagram may begin to steal market share with this new installment. A popular paid photo enhancing application Camera+,allows users to improve the quality of photos in the same way Lux intends.

However, Instagram recently cut the number of steps for using both Camera+ and Instagram in half.

Previously, users would have to pay $1.99 for something that is now free.

Furthermore, Instagram users no longer have to toggle back and forth between photos. Instead, Instagram is now a one-stop shop for photo enhancement.

Going forward, Instagram will be an app to watch and to see how these improvements affect its number of downloads versus the number of downloads of Camera+.

It will be interesting to see whether or not Instagram will become available for Android in the near future.