Women’s tennis continues winning streak against UNT

SMUs Kristen Reid prepares to return the ball in a tennis match against North Carolina State.
Marissa Trevino
SMU’s Kristen Reid prepares to return the ball in a tennis match against North Carolina State.

SMU’s Kristen Reid prepares to return the ball in a tennis match against North Carolina State. (Marissa Trevino)

For the second year in a row, the No. 48 SMU women’s tennis team handed the University of North Texas a 7-0 loss. The Mustangs improved to 18-4 overall and extended their win streak to 10 matches with victories at every position while in Denton on Wednesday.

UNT is now 1-17 for the season. The team’s only win came earlier this month in a 5-2 victory over North Central Texas College.

Partners Natalia Bubien and Claire Reitsch notched their sixteenth doubles win with an 8-2 victory over Megan Schmulbach and Aziza Aba Butain at No. 1. Senior Jennifer Chay and Pavi Francis won 8-0 at No. 2 while Monica Neveklovska and Kristen Reid cleaned up 8-3 at the No. 3 spot.

Bubien was the only Mustang to play a tiebreaker against the Mean Green. At No. 1, the junior won the match over Idalina Franca with a second set tiebreaker 6-2, 7-6 (7-3).

Chay, at No. 2, shut down Schmulbach in straight sets 6-3, 6-2. She earned her seventh consecutive singles win and improved her overall record to 12-6. Francis took over the No. 3 spot normally occupied by fellow freshman Rietsch. She defeated opponent Aziza Aba Butain 6-3, 6-1.

With Rietsch absent, Reid, Georgiana Marta and Neveklovska moved up on the roster. Reid defended the No. 4 position against Hollie Caras. The sophomore refused to give up a single game and finished the match 6-0, 6-0.

In her second to last match as a Mustang, senior Marta commanded a 6-1, 6-1 win over Mary Poe while Neveklovska beat Emi Itabashi 6-1, 6-4.

SMU returns to Dallas to close out the regular season on Saturday against conference opponent the University of Texas-El Paso. The April 14 match is set to begin at 10 a.m. at the Garland Tennis Center.