Guster and The Format promote Campus Consciousness on tour

It’s finally easy being green. In fact, The Format and Guster have made it pretty damn cool.

On Saturday, April 7, the two bands played to a sold-out Granada Theater as part of the second annual Campus Consciousness tour.

The tour focuses on raising awareness of global warming and other environmental issues.

The production of the tour itself is even “green.” It relies on renewable energy, and the buses are powered by clean-burning biodiesel.

Despite the focus shifting to music once the bands hit the stage, Guster guitarist and vocalist Ryan Miller did mention the environmental component to the tour.

“It’s kind of funny that we’re here to talk to you about global warming on the one day it snows in Dallas. That could mean we already fixed it,” Miller said.

Attendees of the show were given hands-on opportunities to fight global warming.

Eco-friendly ice cream company Ben and Jerry’s dished out generous scoops of its new flavor “Cinnamon Buns.” The company’s own “Lick Global Warming” campaign is joining Guster for its April performances.

A table was set up to discuss concerns surrounding the environment, and people could fill out postcards to their senator as a part of the tour’s letter-writing campaign.

When the clock struck 8:45, the attention turned to the stage. Fans of the indie-rock band The Format began to snake their way up to the stage.

The Granada was at its best as a venue (packed with a standing room only set up forcing the audience to feed off each other’s excitement.)

The Format played an energized set of 10 songs from both its debut and sophomore albums.

The band opened with “If Work Permits” off the album “Dog Problems.”

Vocalist Nate Ruess traded audience small talk for a packed 45 minute set (without ever sacrificing audience interaction).

Headliners Guster carried the same entertaining vigor into their portion of the show.

Drummer Brian Rosenworcel broke a cymbal during the set as he drummed with his bare hands, andRyan Miller got a little deep with teenage angst stories from his time at Berkner High School in Richardson, which served as the perfect introduction to “One Man Wrecking Machine.”

At the end of the show, Miller was honest about the encore plans.

He admitted Guster had extra songs up its sleeve and wanted to know if the audience wanted to bother with having them ever exit the stage.

Too charged to stop the show, the audience overwhelmingly cheered to have them “plow through,” as Miller called it.

The decision came as no surprise. It was the more energy-efficient thing to do.

For more information about the Campus Consciousness tour, check out www.campusconsciousness.org.