Sorority-sponsored tournament raises funds for the blind

Delta Gamma sorority raised more than $6,000 last weekend during its annual Anchor Slam competition. The event raised funds for Service for Sight, an organization aiding the visually impaired, and helped the sorority reach its goal of sponsoring a sight dog, Natasha Schibanoff, Anchor Slam co-director said.

The competition consisted of a three-on-three bracket-style basketball tournament.

This year, 18 four-person teams participated in the event, an increase from last year, Schibanoff said.

“This year’s tournament was a complete success,” she said. “We had great sponsors and tons of donations. It was a really great day.”

Participants included teams made up of SMU fraternity members as well as individuals not affiliated with the university.

The winning team received a $200 prize, four tickets to a Dallas Burn game, a Burn jersey signed by the entire team and dinner at Chili’s Bar & Grill.

Four years ago, Anchor Slam was created to replace Anchor Splash, a swimming competition some DG chapters still host.

“We wanted to switch the type of event to get more people involved, since swimming is more of an individual competition,” Schibanoff said. “It’s been a wild success ever since.”

Last week, SMU males also went head-to-head to earn the title of Anchor Man.

Representatives from campus fraternities as well as one non-affiliated male competed to win the title.

“The sisters vote on a member from each fraternity and one independent to compete,” Schibanoff said. “Usually the competition is only open to seniors, but this year we decided to open it up to underclassmen.”

The Anchor Man competition is won by the candidate with the most points.

Points were earned by collecting donations for Service for Sight, making ice cream sundaes and decorating collection tins and T-shirts, Schibanoff said.

Participants also were required to give a presentation at the Anchor Slam competition explaining why they love DG.

Presentations ranged from speech to song, event directors said.

The winner, Guy Bellaver, was selected based upon his school spirit, community service and DG spirit, Schibanoff said.

Bellaver was awarded dinner at the Cisco Grill and two tickets to a Texas Rangers game.

“The guys this year did a really great job,” said Anchor Slam co-director and sophomore finance major Eli Goicoechea. “Collectively, all the candidates raised $300.”

DG was the first national sorority to adopt a philanthropy.

It has supported Service for Sight since 1936, when an active member with visual impairments prompted her chapter to work with others who were also visually impaired, according to the Anchors Online Web site.