Stage set for fall sports

The athletic season for SMU has officially ended and it’s time to take a look and see how the teams progressed.

Volleyball

The volleyball team saw its record improve from 13-16 in 2005 to 17-15 in 2006.

The Mustangs finished in eighth place in the Conference USA standings, falling short of the projected third place finish, according to the coaches’ preseason poll. The Mustangs lost senior Jennette Evanco for most of the season.

The team will not lose a single player. this season The only senior, Evanco, was able to use a red-shirt year due to her injury.

The volleyball team will be the first team to kick off the 2007 season at SMU with the SMU Invite on Aug. 24 and 25 against McNeese State, Western Carolina and Eastern Illinois.

Women’s Soccer

SMU women’s soccer will also begin in August.

Last season the women won the regular season C-USA title but fell early in the tournament against Colorado College. Then the Mustangs had the task of facing the Texas A&M Aggies in the second round of the NCAA Tournament after knocking out McNeese State in the first round. It was the second straight appearance for SMU and was the second straight time the Mustangs fell to the Aggies.

The Mustangs will return a strong core of players, including goalkeeper Ashley Gunter, but will also lose key players. Olivia O’Rear, who led the team in goals, Susanne Collins, Morgan Field and Ashley Watson will all be missed by the 2007-08 team.

Men’s Soccer

The SMU men’s soccer season will be the last sport to open in August.

The Mustangs saw their No. 1 national ranking fall apart in the NCAA Tournament. SMU, who won both the C-USA regular season championship and conference tournament earned a first round bye.

In the second round the Mustangs faced a tough and somewhat unknown University of California-Santa Barbara. SMU was outplayed and lost the game at Westcott, while UCSB went on to win the National Championship.

A College Cup appearance two seasons ago and the top rankings of last season bring hope to the 2007-08 year. The Mustangs will have to overcome key losses to the roster.

Jay Needham was taken in the MLS draft and six other seniors graduated, including goalkeeper Matt Wideman and the other two captains Mynor Gonzalez and Chase Wileman.

But with a strong winning tradition and head coach Schellas Hyndman, don’t expect the soccer team to drop off the national map. The season begins on Aug. 31 against St. Louis University.

Football

In September, the football season will get underway at SMU.

An improved 6-6, after a 5-6 finish in 2005, the Mustangs still fell short of an achievment that has eluded SMU since the Death Penalty: playing in a bowl game.

The biggest question mark going into last season was the quarterback situation. That was answered when Justin Willis proved that he could play at the collegiate level. There were shaky moments, but with a full season and another off-season under his belt Willis should look more comfortable behind center.

The SMU offense will stay mostly intact for next season, but it is the defense that will have to fill some large holes left by the 2007 graduating class. The defensive line and secondary lost key components and leaders. Look for the offense to remain strong and more consistent, but if the Mustangs want to compete for a bowl game and conference championship it will come down to the play of the defense.

SMU opens up the season at home against Texas Tech on Sept. 3.

Men’s Basketball

The Men will begin their second season under head coach Matt Doherty in early November.

Last season saw a strong non-conference season lead to a disappointing conference record. The Mustangs finished 14-17 overall, 3-13 in the conference and lost in the first round of the C-USA Tournament.

The loss of Donatas Rackauskas, Devon Pearson and Ike Ofoegbu will hit the team hard, but the return of Jon Killen, Bamba Fall and Derrick Roberts will help to alleviate those losses. Also coming in will be Doherty’s first full recruiting class.

The seven to-be freshmen will join the other six scholarship players and most likely see playing time throughout the year. The 2007-08 schedule has yet to come out.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team will look to improve on a strong season last year, and looks to be the best bet for a strong showing nationally next season.

Like the volleyball team, the only senior, Katie Gross, suffered an early injury and was able to utilize a red-shirt season and will return next year.

Without Gross, the Mustangs fell short of expectations for the 2006-07 season. But young players saw playing time and experience for next season.

The schedule for the women’s basketball season will also come out at a later date.,