Shaq speaks about importance of humor

SMUs Ike Ofoegbu goes for a jump shot while tring to break through the Rice defense.
Nick McCarthy
SMU’s Ike Ofoegbu goes for a jump shot while tring to break through the Rice defense.

Basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal spoke to students Friday at the Northeast Texas Humor Conference held in the Owen Fine Arts Center. (Christopher Saul / The Daily Campus)

Shaquille O’Neal has accomplished a lot in his lifetime. He spent 19 years in the NBA, won four championship rings and is considered one of the greatest players in league history.

Off the court, O’Neal has released four music albums, appeared in numerous films and starred in his own reality television show. However, it’s O’Neal’s interest in academic humor that he enjoys talking about the most.

“Humor is the Shaquille O’Neal brand,” O’Neal said at the Northeast Texas Humor Conference hosted in the SMU Owen Fine Arts Center.

“I use humor to show people that, even though I have this monstrous frame and I’m a competitive animal, I’m still a normal person and a nice guy.”

O’Neal is somewhat of a humor expert. After graduating from Louisiana State University and retiring from the NBA, O’Neal receivied an MBA from the University of Phoenix and finished his Doctor of Education at Barry University.

O’Neal’s doctoral capstone project explored how CEOs and business leaders use humor in the workplace.

“I modulate 70/30. I’m 70% humorous and 30% serious,” O’Neal said. “But I have to be socially and ethically aware of how I deploy my humor.”

O’Neal was joined at the Northeast Texas Humor Research Conference, titled “Humor in the Professions, Psychology, Philology: Intercultural Perspectives,” by Barry University professor David M. Kopp.

O’Neal and Kopp shared their similar views on using humor as a leadership tool.

“The best leaders use humor as a function of the situation,” said Kopp. “Humor is a performance driver based on if the follower is confident and willing.”

O’Neal told insightful stories from his playing days that included joking around with coaches and players like Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant and Yao Ming.

He also explained about how he is always thrust into leadership roles, so he is constantly in the “CEO mindset.”

He talked to the students about how different situations call for different leadership styles, but humor can always be used to help relieve stress.

“Leaders have to make tough decisions whether to focus on the task or the relationship,” O’Neal said.

“When you’re dealing with humor, you’re focused on the relationship. If your focus is to accomplish a task, you’re dealing with seriousness.”

O’Neal warned students to be careful when using humor that deals with race, gender or social justice because of the value in partnerships.

He believes a successful leader will hire employees that he or she can trust and referred to a quote from general Dwight D. Eisenhower about intelligence and leadership.

“The greatest leaders are the ones smart enough to hire people that are smarter than you,” O’Neal said.

Students had an opportunity to ask questions about everything from O’Neal’s college days, working with Charles Barkley on TNT and his use of Twitter. O’Neal, who is a pioneer with his use of social media, said he uses Twitter for humor, inspiration, and sales.

It can be difficult and frustrating at times, but he said he appreciates how new technology keeps everyone informed and educated.

“I’ve always had the will to learn, I’ve always had the desire to learn and I’ve always wanted to challenge myself,” O’Neal said. “Twitter keeps me constantly connected and enlightened.”

O’Neal closed the ceremony by effortlessly lifting and carrying SMU professor Owen Lynch in his arms and smiling.

Although many people would be content with everything he has accomplished in his life, O’Neal said he is never satisfied. “

“My mother told me, ‘one day, you’re going to be known for something bigger than basketball,'” O’ Neal said. “And ever since I have known her, she’s never been wrong.”