Protests ramp up as presidential library opening approaches

Courtesy of CODEPINK
CODEPINK, a women-initiated grassroots peace and social justice movement, demonstrates on Mockingbird Lane beside SMU campus Monday.

CODEPINK, a women-initiated grassroots peace and social justice movement, demonstrates on Mockingbird Lane beside SMU campus Monday. (Courtesy of CODEPINK)

Veterans, families and Iraqi civilians shared their personal stories on the effects of the Iraq War Tuesday night at the First Unitarian Church of Dallas.

The protestor event, Human Cost of War, allowed a panel to speak on their opinions to an anti-war audience.

The room was filled with people sporting T-shirts with slogans such as “Arrest Bush” and “Veterans For Peace.”

One family that was on the panel lost their son and brother, Marine Lance Cpl. Jeff Lucey, a veteran of the Iraq War, who took his own life after returning home.

“This is Jeff as a child, because we need to put a face on these casualties, they are not just numbers, they are people that had lives, and families and friends that love them,” said mother of Cpl. Jeff Lucey, Joyce, as she showed the audience a picture of her son.

“We had no idea that war with all its insanity would enter our lives and destroy our family,” Lucey said.

Lucey said that George Bush’s administration made her and her family speak out through their anger over the last nine years against the war, and for a better more efficient health care system.

Another speaker on the panel was peace activist Farah Muhsin Al Mousawi who moved to America from Iraq in 2008 on a student scholarship.

“We are holding the United States’s government accountable for the human cost of war,” said Mousawi. “We are standing together to hold, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and everyone else accountable for every innocent soul that has died.”